Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Respect the Coues!

With Edge's permission just wanted to thicken the plot a little for his buck. On opening morning me and my hunting crew set up right in the bowl that is pictured. We didn't see much and started to move to spot number 2 when we spooked this buck and a couple of his cronies. Long story short, they crested over the farthest ridge shown in the picture and in the process of getting closer, we spooked them again (gonna need to work on that) and I took two quick running shots on this exact buck and a final shot at approximately 550 yards that failed to meet their marks (and that too). He trotted off and i was sure he would be traumatized and never come back but i was obviously wrong! Edge and his crew who we unfortunately didn't have the chance of running into while we were out there, were obviously hunting the same spot days later. Goes to show those deer will stay in their stomping grounds even after getting shot at. Congrats Edge on sealing the deal! I can relate with you on those canyons and especially that canyon he ran into, it is NASTY. My buddy and I were just saying that we are sick of that spot because of the nasty terain. But it holds some fine deer.

• Like 4

With Edge's permission just wanted to thicken the plot a little for his buck. On opening morning me and my hunting crew set up right in the bowl that is pictured. We didn't see much and started to move to spot number 2 when we spooked this buck and a couple of his cronies. Long story short, they crested over the farthest ridge shown in the picture and in the process of getting closer, we spooked them again (gonna need to work on that) and I took two quick running shots on this exact buck and a final shot at approximately 550 yards that failed to meet their marks (and that too). He trotted off and i was sure he would be traumatized and never come back but i was obviously wrong! Edge and his crew who we unfortunately didn't have the chance of running into while we were out there, were obviously hunting the same spot days later. Goes to show those deer will stay in their stomping grounds even after getting shot at. Congrats Edge on sealing the deal! I can relate with you on those canyons and especially that canyon he ran into, it is NASTY. My buddy and I were just saying that we are sick of that spot because of the nasty terain. But it holds some fine deer.

Cool story. I'd been happy with him or his smaller buddy. I haven't ever been to concerned with rack size but I am getting a new found appreciation for you hunters that put in the time and effort to find the monsters. This buck had a big body and decent rack. Nearly 50% larger than last year's.

Congratulations Tim on a great looking and well earned buck!

• Like 1

This buck looked familiar to me and was in the same area I believe so I sent Tim a couple of pics. We think it could be him so Tim asked me to post these pics on the thread.

post-4217-0-64271600-1449192257_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-16214700-1449192346_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats Tim! Great buck in some tough country. Good to see guys our age getting it done the hard way!

• Like 1

Congrats Tim! Great buck in some tough country. Good to see guys our age getting it done the hard way!

Thanks Wink, I'm not going on another hunt like that without getting back in shape.

This buck looked familiar to me and was in the same area I believe so I sent Tim a couple of pics. We think it could be him so Tim asked me to post these pics on the thread.

So I've discussed this buck with Pixman, Eagleeye and others and at the time we were trailing it and getting glimpses we believed there's a good chance this buck is a hybrid.

Post your opinions.

Well done Edge!

• Like 1

Has some characteristics of both species.

Purely speculation.