Sign in to follow this  
Red Sparky

Land owners and the future of hunting in NM

I read in the paper today (ABQ Journal) the NM Dept. of Taxation and Revenue is sending letters to landowners for not paying gross receipts tax. The whole point is the landowner authorizations for elk hunting that landowners sell for tags. These allocations are given by G&F in recognition of the landowners efforts in managing elk and their habitat. They can either sell them to individuals, brokers, or outfitters. The outfitters are suppose to pay the gross receipts and give the landowners an exemption certificate showing they paid the gross receipts. The landowners are responsible for the gross receipts tax on any license they sold to individuals.

Some of the landowners paid personal income tax from the selling of these licenses but not the gross receipts tax. Reading the article it was never explained they had to also pay gross receipts tax. Now Tax and Rev. is asking for several years back taxes for failure to pay. Most of the records are not going to be available.

It is a big mess. I think either the landowners will shut off their land without any tags or it will all go to outfitters. I feel the price of hunting elk on private land is going to increase big time or completely stop. The worst case scenario is the landowners will not manage their land for elk anymore. That means the elk hunting here is going to go down in quality.

With the big fight with the SLO I am wondering if somebody is trying to disrupt all hunting rights here. It seems kind of fishy that two state agencies are trying to cause a bigger fight between landowners and the G&F Dept., a third state agency. Thoughts or ideas?

Sounds like big brother wants his cut! I heard they are going back quite a bit years. Totally stinks for the landowners, looks like they will start charging taxes on thier tags

Most landowner authorizations are purchased by non residents. NR's will foot the bill. I see no big change coming concerning land management by NM landowners. LOA's are still a cash cow.

I hope not. I've been eyeing NM many times for some hunts. The other year I nailed a antelope. If I have to pay more than what I did I won't be going