Sign in to follow this  
Jgardner

5BS Late Rifle Bull

After three days of hitting the hills hard, I finally got it done. My two cousins and dad had all killed big bulls from the family honey hole. I had heard of countless stories from them of seeing no less then a hundred elk each day, passing up an abundance of bulls, and the opportunities I should have on wall-hanger bulls. Of course the year I have a tag something had to change and come the first day, I had only seen a total of six elk after eleven miles on foot. My cousins claimed something was not right, and assumed it was the big snowstorm that came through the area a week before my hunt or the fact that temperatures were much warmer the year prior. The second day things got better when we discovered that the greater majority of the elk were in a large, secluded thicket that was on top of a hill and had a few big crevasses in it. I noticed a lot of the elk I was finding were in the crevasses. Midday on the second day of the hunt, I shot a bull somewhere around 320-330 in size in one of these crevasses. I thought I hit him good when I saw him buck hard, and found quite a bit of blood where I shot him. The blood ran thin quickly and spent the rest of the day and half of the next day to come trying to find this bull. I felt terrible and knew this bull was probably going to die a painful death. After calling it quits on the blood trail on the third day of the hunt, I began hunting again. It was around 12:00pm when a mature bull that seemed to be a 5x or bigger sprang up in front of me and started to run. I snapped up my rifle and shot him as I watched him hit the forest floor just as quickly as he sprang up from it. I ran up to the downed bull and discovered that I only saw his "good" side when he got up to run. I started to laugh when I saw his non-typical side. Although he was not the wall-hanger bull I was after, I was more than satisfied with him. We nicknamed him "Clubby" for obvious reasons. Overall it was a great hunt and am hoping for an early archery bull tag in the future.

12308376_1005014062875904_83097997683667

12299301_1005014002875910_61642429940469

• Like 8

If Casey was an elk........ Naw, never mind, he'd be even weirder lookin. That's a cool bull. Looks like he probly had a headache. Lark

• Like 2

See even misfit island of elk are still trophy. Now if only Santa can understand that! Congrats