Sign in to follow this  
cwnova

Worth buying a pellet gun or hold out for a shotgun?

My first deer season ended with tag soup and I'm more than anxious to get out in the field sooner rather than later. I would like to pick up small game hunting down near the Tucson area. Right now I'm content with chasing rabbits and maybe some squirrels if I can get into the right area. Of course during the appropriate seasons I would also like to go after dove, quail, and ducks.

Currently the only gun I own is my big game rifle. For the sake of rabbits and squirrels, is buying a $100 pellet rifle sufficient for the time being? Clearly a shotgun is the way to go for quail and dove, so I will have one eventually, but should I just skip the pellet gun and go right to a shotgun?

Regarding a shotgun I will probably be looking for one in the sub $450 range. Maybe the Remington 870 or a Benelli?

Thanks in advance for the input

You will get a lot more use out of a shot gun than you will a pellet gun. Yes you can use the pellet gun for rabbits and squirrels, but you can do that with a shotgun as well. I recommend putting that money into a gun that is a little more versitile.

• Like 1

imo, $100 pellet guns suck. if you want a good pellet gun, get yourself an RWS. got one used 25 years ago and it still shoots hard as the day i got it. but theyre like the same cost as a shotgun. to me, thats like comparing apples and oranges

• Like 2

you could find a single shot 20 or 12 for around 150 or less. That would be a good start. H&R Topper or an old Iver Johnson single shot would be great.

• Like 1

Or keep an eye on the classifieds here on the site, lots of guys selling used quality shotguns for less than $450. IMO a pellet gun for actual hunting purposes is a waste.

• Like 1

I recently picked up a 22 pellet gun for shooting pigeons in the backyard. I figured 22 wold be good because I can take it to shoot little critters like rabbits and such as well. Well, that 22 is WAY to powerful for backyard pigeon shooting. Get a shotgun.

Pellet guns are a lot of fun and make for some good practice though. you could pick up a pellet gun and a shotgun for less than $450 pretty easily

For every shot of my pellet gun, I take 100 shots with my shotgun. Pellet guns are great for backyard Eurasian dove shooting. Other than that, they sit and collect dust.

I really wouldn't suggest a single shot. Just my opinion, even though they do make you a better shot in the long run. But I rarely take more than one shot at game, but nice to have a second (or even third) if you are shooting fast flying birds or multiples. Even for sporting clays, it is needed.

All of these are at or under $450:

Pump:

Rem 870

Mossberg 500

Benelli Nova Field

Winchester SXP Field

Weatherby PA-08

Stoeger P-350

O/U:

Stoeger Condor (Field or Longfowler) These actually got really good reviews.

Over under

While I could not agree more, there is really only one or two that fit the price range of $450. But I love mine (not in the price range).

Benelli and Stoeger are made by the same company. it is gmc/Chevrolet (In my understanding of it). Guy from work bought a real nice Stoeger autoloader for about 4-450 (cant remember).

I have two nice remingtons myself. Bought one brand new. Then my brother found me one with a cracked butt stock. Don't recommend the synthetic thumb through stocks for birds... especially if you aim and shoot like I do. ha ha. An afternoon of missing leads to a sore hand

No. Benelli and a stoeger are not the same in that sense. They have some same features but no where close to the same gun. Price in a shotgun should be closely watched. You pay for what you get.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I don't think I'll be spending any more time looking at pellet guns and will start narrowing down which shotgun to purchase for 2016! I have only used shotgun once and it was a Benelli SuperNova I believe. I like the look of the 870 a little bit more but I want to do more overall research on all my options, not to mention the 12 gauge vs 20 gauge debate.