Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

a 24a eight pointer

My brother had the after thanksgiving deer hunt in 24a, he did not see anything of quality in a reachable distance the first weekend and he only had Friday to hunt of the final weekend. I let my boss know that I had some sales calls to do and left my office in scottsdale around 1100. meeting my necessary work requirement and then meeting up with my brother around 245.

We head out to my secret spot making it around 400 and within a few minutes we see two does and the smallest spike in history. i try to talk him into shooting it but no dice. We glass from the left nipple of the mountain seeing a distant deer on the reservation. I tell him lets go to the other nipple for the final minutes of his hunt getting there about 445 or so.

I'm looking for a spot to set up my tripod when i hear him say theres two does. I walk over to where he is and set up. I set my glasses up and see antlers on the smaller buck and he starts setting up for a shot.

We glass the other buck and both say shooter. He takes his time sets up, the sun starts its decline past the horizon. The larger buck goes by a large prickly pear and then beds as he was getting sight acquisition. I can feel the clock ticking to darkness.

With me spending my work week in the valley and hunting stuff at my home in show low I had very limited hunting resources with me. My brother had borrowed a set of binos and allowed me to use them, swaro's el range. I was considering selling my kids for a set after using them. I range the cactus next to where the buck is bedded and it reads 468. He settles in the prone position and shoots, the deer have no reaction. He aims shoots aqain and the bedded buck kicks hard runs twenty yards or so and stops. He is having a hard time getting on the target (many minutes) and i tell him do you want me to do it and I see him almost hand me the gun. he goes back and forth from another set of binos i have on a tripod back to his prone position. Three more shots and the buck is down with minutes to spare from darkness.

Unknown to us due to the cover was the bucks final death run, taking it into a giant hole and prolonging recovery for an hour or so

post-4480-0-83002000-1449633741_thumb.jpg

The eight point is a bit of an exaggeration, I was counting the eyeguard.

post-4480-0-76620300-1449633890_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-44249200-1449634010_thumb.jpg

I was wearing the wrong shoes for where we were.

post-4480-0-83229600-1449634229_thumb.jpg

The buck in the daytime without the fat guys behind it

• Like 11

That is really nice guys. And i commend you for actually telling what unit you took him in. What a great buck and nice write up. Congrats

• Like 1

That is really nice guys. And i commend you for actually telling what unit you took him in. What a great buck and nice write up. Congrats

I use to be somewhat secretive about my spots, but a few years ago I let a friend hunt my favorite lifelong hunting spot. The following week he gave my spot to a couple of his friends. At first I was aggravated but it turns the guys were really cool and I have hunted with them many times since. If you know 24a at all, I have given enough info to go to the exact spot. I bet Amanda and Bonecollector both know exactly where I was.

I use to be somewhat secretive about my spots, but a few years ago I let a friend hunt my favorite lifelong hunting spot. The following week he gave my spot to a couple of his friends. At first I was aggravated but it turns the guys were really cool and I have hunted with them many times since. If you know 24a at all, I have given enough info to go to the exact spot. I bet Amanda and Bonecollector both know exactly where I was.

I know exactly where you are at, I think. 😜

Good looking bucks

SWEET!! CONGRATS ON A VERY NICE BUCK!!