Sign in to follow this  
Presmyk

22-250 bullets that won't vaporize

I got a 22-250 for calling gun and I'm looking for a bullet that is solid enough won't jack up a bobcat bad. I would like a 40-55 grain bullet. I was going to load up some 40 grn vmax but I wouldn't want to shoot a cat with. I was told berger target bullets would be good for my "requirement". What is the difference in the target and the varmint bullets?

I've had alot of bergers blow up the offside hide and ruin them. I use vmax now exclusively in my.204 (different creature than a 22-220) and never ever have an exit. I think for what you're wanting to do, a Barnes copper bullet would be the ticket. Small hole going in slightly larger but still small hole coming out.

That's what I'm thinking u don't want to load a slower big bullet bc that defeats the purpose of a fast flat shooting rifle quarter size exit as biggest what I'm thinking

What about match ammo are the jackets normally thicker?

With that round, pick a heavier bullet and don't load it as hot. If your trying to save the hide that is. If you can find a bonded bullet, I would shoot that, it would stay together and not vaporize.

• Like 1

I've been down this road before. What was recommended to be was a light light bullet at warp speed, hoping for no exit.

And what did you experience? I have shot yote with 100 grain 243 and exit was 50 cent size.

Screw it if the taxi can't sew it up they shouldn't be a taxidermist lol

• Like 1

I never killed a cat with them, but was less then impressed with the 40 vmax from my 223 on coyotes.

I much prefer the 50gr. VMAX/ZMAX @ 3303FPS from my .223 too. No coyote has ever walked away from one of those from my gun. The 69gr. SMK is good too. Does not put them down quite as fast, but better for shots a little further out, and accuracy is amazing.