Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Two for one sale on couesj

I am sure it has been done plenty of times before, but this was a first for me!

It all started the same as it does for most hunters, with a CC hit. My 15year old drew a Muzzleloader bull tag, and my 14 year old had drawn a late rifle bull tag so I only put in for Dec tags. To say I was excited when The results came out online, and saw my name attached to the Dec tag would be the understatement of a lifetime.

At any rate, I had spent over 20 days scouting the unit going into the hunt. Had found many bucks, but nothing I was too excited to shoot.

On the first day we glassed, and passed on 12 different bucks. Day two, the wether turned ugly. Cold, windy, and rain/ snow. We were able to glass one buck starting to rut a doe. He scored right at 100, but did not go in for a closer look even with my buddies using some choice words to tell me I was less than smart! I was really wanting something bigger and with more character.

Later on day two my buddy Jason glassed up three bucks. We watched the bucks bed, but could not truely tell what the biggest buck would score. We knew he was a 5x4 with better than average mass, and spread but could not see eye guards.

After watching the bedded bucks for four hours at 297 yards we decided it was time to make him stand up so we could get a better look at him. After a few unsuccessful attempts to get him out of bed we decided to sneek in behind him for a better look. This was a very difficult decisionbecause I was almost certain it was not going to work, and I knew at 297 yards all he had to do is stand up to feed and my 300 wsm would let the air out of him if I thought he was over 110.

After a short hike down the canyon my buddy Richie and I were 68 yards from two bedded bucks! Me with a rifle tag and him with an archery tag! As I was getting ready on the shooting sticks the big buck stood up and starting walking up the hill away from us. He looked BIG so I let the 300 wsm eat at 68 yards. This is kind of funny because oncagain I spent countless hours getting the turret all figured out past 1000 yards. As my buck hit the dirt we both instantly looked up the hill to see if the other 3/3 was still there.......

As luck would have it he was still bedded, certain we could not see him... Richie drew his bow and successfully harvested his first archery buck ever!!!!

Great memories for all involved! I looked at Richie and said, " if we tried to do that 100 times it might work once!"

We scored my 5/4 buck that night and got 104 and change... I re scored him when I got home and got 103 and 6/8 my second largest coues todate and second 100 + incher

post-2950-0-80729400-1450304373_thumb.jpegpost-2950-0-14546500-1450304397_thumb.jpegpost-2950-0-80729400-1450304373_thumb.jpegpost-2950-0-11322900-1450304414_thumb.jpegpost-2950-0-55910600-1450304428_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

Very cool how that played out! Congrats to the both of you on tagging out!

Nice Going Whitey, that is a great deer! Your buddy's deer is pretty nice too. Pretty amazing that you got it to go down like that. Like you said probably 1 and 100, if not higher. I could see if your buddy shot his deer first, and then you shot the deer running away with the rifle, but the other way around is pretty incredible.

• Like 1

What an awesome story!! Crazy how you guys were able to get it done with the rifle and then the bow right after!! DOUBLE!

• Like 1