Sign in to follow this  
darrcolburn

Night Force SHV & Burris XTR II Scopes

I am looking at getting my son one of these two scopes for his 6.5 Creedmoor. Having a zero stop is an important feature to me. Has anyone used either of these scopes? Is there any place in the valley that stocks these to take a look at them both? I like having the exposed turret with the zero stop. I am not to sure about the Nightforce zero set on the SHV scope. Any personal experience with either of these scopes good or bad would be appreciated.

I have looked at the Zeiss. The problem with that scope is you are limited to one revolution on the turret.

With the zero stop in, that is correct. Good thing is, with my rifle that gets me plenty far, but the creedmore would be a different story.

I just sited in my new hd5. I'm pretty impressed. With the zero stop you get 16.5 Moa. That should be enough adjustment for 750 in my 280 Rem which is plent far.

My buddy has the shv with the 56mm obj. On that rifle extra high rings were required making uncomfortable to get a good cheek weld

Do you want a FFP or SFP scope? There is only one Nightforce SHV that will fit the FFP bill....once it is released. The Burris XTR II line are all FFP. Plus the Burris line have a 5X magnification range, and the SHV line has a 4X range. Burris also has a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

If you want a SFP scope, then only the Nightforce will meet your requirements.

I would do the zeiss HD5 awesome scope. Sight it in for 300 yards and a 20 moa rail and you will have plenty of adjustment for the one revolution you get

Also worth mentioning and spoken highly of would be the Bushnell LRHS series. That scope started with a complete re-design and purpose built. A couple friends have them and love them.

For about 5 oz more weight penalty and just a little more money you can find used vortex gen 1 razor's. With some looking and patience you can get them for $1300-$1400. They are great scopes.

I haven't had my hands on a SHV F1 yet, but I would think it would be a solid choice for the money based on my experience with their other products.

Nightforce or SWFA.

I'd stick with NXS too, the SHV doesn't have as robust internals as the NXS.