Sign in to follow this  
azbirdhunter88

99 24 valve cummins

Deaf need a airfilter and or bigger turbo depending how much more fule your pushing and gauges witch lead to a built up tranni or at least valve body and billet tourqe converter. Again depending what you HP goal is. Go to diesel bombers Web site best site I have found diesel wise

And make sure the new injectors have right spray pattern there are a lot of marine injectors that are the wrong pattern and they get the temp up a little faster and more black smoke (unburned diesel and extra heat)

Do you have gauges?

If not you need that BEFORE anything else.

Then get an air filter setup. I would do a BHAF with outerwears personally on your truck, cheap and effective.

You need to know what your EGT's are if you are towing with any mods especially a chip or injectors. More fuel means higher EGT's. Towing above 1350* for a consistent stretch is dangerous for your motor and if you tow at too high of an EGT you could LITERALLY melt your pistons.

You also need to know your lift pump fuel pressure. A VP44 which is the injector pump for your motor won't live long if the lift pump pressures are to low or if the lift pump dies. If that happens the injector pump itself is over $1000 just for the part to replace.

Does your chip have a boost fooler? What is your boost pressure? Without gauges you won't know. If you are running on the high side of 40psi of boost you are risking blowing a head gasket. Another very labor intensive fix that is easier to prevent than cause.

If your towing with more power and extra power you should look into at least valvebody mods and billet torque converter to help keep the transmission alive along with a trans temp gauge to monitor the temperature.

If your lift pump is dead or dying you should look into a better upgraded lift pump like a FASS. Your fuel pressure gauge will help you monitor the lift pump. If the lift pump dies the VP44 is soon to follow. If you upgrade your fuel pump make sure to upgrade to a 2 micron filter setup to get good clean fuel to the motor.

I have the Edge CTS monitor in my 2005 ram along with an analog gauge for fuel pressure and really like it. I have a stick shift otherwise I would have added a trans temp gauge too, either digital in the CTS or analog. Either works. I had 2 analog gauges in my 98.5, fuel pressure and EGT. I didn't need boost because my SMARTY box wouldn't push enough power to drive boost past about 33psi even with the wastegate bypassed.

Once you have gauges and an air filter setup go tow whatever you tow. If your EGT's are not too high then think about a different chip or injectors. Too much fuel IS a BAD thing. I did 60hp injectors in my 2005 cummins and I towed with it last weekend. Even with the programmer turned to stock I still had to back out of the throttle because I could drive my EGT's over 1400* which is bad news. I need to modify my exhaust and see if I can lower EGT's enough that way. If I just went balls to the wall without gauges I probably would have really hurt my truck pulling up the Camp Verde grade at 1400-1500* EGT.

Harley

I work in Tolleson, I see you live in Litchfield. If you want to meet for lunch or something and talk truck and take a look at what I am running and let me show you some pointers I would be more than happy to. I love to talk Cummins if you have not figured that out already. :D