Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

news release - chad smith - helicoter chasing antelope update

Glad to hear he and the pilot are facing consequences for their actions. I'm still amazed that with all the prime, unmolested habitat he had access to he still chose to stomp on other landowners property rights. This guy is a piece of work.

So was Atkinson the hunter and the pilot? Kinda hard to figger the whole thing out. Whatever. I'm glad something happened to em. This just ain't huntin' and it puts a bad light on guys that do hunt. Is this Atkinson guy affiliated with anything? Lark

Disgusting. Repeat offender obstructing justice should require a lifetime ban with heavy fines. Only high fenced hunts for this POS. I met him a few years ago and thought he was a good guy. Even sent a client his way. What a bummer and disappointment in the justice system.

• Like 1

Googled the asskissin guy (did I spell it right?) says he has a degree in wildlife biology and owns a chopper company in Texas, sendero helicopters, and specializes in rounding up, capturing and transporting game animals, among other things. Sounds like this oro outfit hired em to do this. But the article sorta sounds like he was a client. Wish there was a more in depth article on this. Lark

kinda hard to round up cattle outside the fenced area . especially when you supposedly coordinate it during an antelope hunt

I think AZG&F left this in the hands of the US wildlife services - as it involved air/animal violations - I'm afraid its over - Our G&F will do nothing - it's probably all part of the plea agreement . I think they had hoped for stiffer fines and punishment also .

Sad when repeat violators can thumb there noses and middle finger at our hunting laws and get away with minimal punishment

all I heard was - the whole hearing is available at the us wildlife services.com though I can't find it

how is anyone - the us wildlife or G&F going to make sure that this guy doesn't violate the terms if he only hunts behind closed private land

Yet another american example of no cosiquences. Sorry to say but this and many other crimes and imoral acts gone unpunished is what is wrecking this world. Its really heartbreaking, god forbid we hurt anyones feelings or say no or punish.

• Like 2

I sorry, I don't care if this is currently in the hands of Wildlife services..... G&F need to punish the outfitter, for good.

They need to start making examples of the repeat offenders ... Does not matter where fences are or if it is private property or not ... The wildlife belongs to ALL and G&F as stewards of this resource should think about every hunter that spends $$$$ every year hoping and praying this will be the year I get drawn... When people with tags or outfitters feel they are beyond the laws they no longer deserve the right to Hunt or guide .. JUST my 2 cents !

• Like 1

this the news release from us wildlife

Defendants Reach Plea Deal in Helicopter Harassment Case
(FLAGSTAFF, Ariz.) Two individuals accused of harassing wildlife with a helicopter have signed a
plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Chad Logan Smith, manager of a ranch in
northern Arizona and Christopher Morris Atkinson, a contracted helicopter pilot working for the
ranch, agreed to deferred sentences for their role in the August, 2014 incident.
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, both men admitted to harassing a pronghorn antelope
with a Robinson R44 helicopter piloted by Atkinson, near the boundaries of the O-R-O Ranch
and Fort Rock Ranch on August 22, 2014. Originally reported by hunters and investigated by the
Arizona Game and Fish Department, the case was completed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service and the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Harassing wildlife with a helicopter is a federal offense
(a Class-A misdemeanor), punishable with a maximum fine of $100,000 and up to six months in
prison.
In statements included in the plea agreement, both Smith and Atkinson admitted that despite
knowing the proximity of a helicopter would disturb the pronghorn, “We continued to do so,
resulting in the pronghorn antelope fleeing or being chased from the area.”
U.S. Magistrate Judge Deborah M. Fine accepted the plea agreements, which will defer
judgment and sentencing for a period of four years to allow the defendants to demonstrate
good conduct. According to court documents, during the 48-month deferral period Smith and
Atkinson must not seek or obtain a hunting permit or engage in any hunting activity in Arizona
or elsewhere; and not operate a helicopter in Arizona.
Chad Logan Smith also must forfeit his hunting guide license to the Arizona Game and Fish
Department and divest himself of ownership or financial interest in Vaquero Outfitters or any
other commercial hunting interest.
If the defendants abide by these terms, the U.S. Attorney’s Office will dismiss this case on or
before December 13, 2019, with no further proceedings. Failure to abide by any of these release conditions,

could lead to a new hearing and proceed to sentencing.