Sign in to follow this  
Rando

New to duck hunting; trying out some tank hopping

So every year I try and get into duck hunting and every year it doesn't happen because I don't know where to go or anyone who duck hunts. So yesterday I said screw it and picked up a new browning shotgun and started doing some research on google maps for a place to jump stock tanks this weekend. And just try and build some experience this way.

I have mapped out about 10 tanks in 24b that I was thinking of hitting. This isn't too far from my house so might be a start. Can anyone give me any advice on if this will be an area where I might see something or if I am wasting my time?

I would gladly take any suggestions of a starting point and do some E scouting from there if someone is willing to point me in a better direction.

Can't help with that area but, not much experience needed for jumping tanks.

1. Find a tank with water.

2. Check it for ducks from a distance. No ducks try again on number 1

It won't compare to finishing them in your decoys but it beats the heck out of sitting on the couch.

Only experience would help is ability to ID waterfowl before you shoot them. Check the regs for specific bag limits on specific species.

Thanks Wampus,

I picked up 24 used decoys yesterday also with the intent of trying to hunt them that way as it seems more exciting once I figure out where and when to do that and what else I will need.

Being able to ID waterfowl is something I am concerned about and have read the game and fish regs on limits and have been looking at the posts on here to get more familiar with them. Right now I will just be happy with aiming at a flying duck.

If you are in Scottsdale, just hop between Horseshoe and Bartlett reservoirs, also downstream of Bartlett dam all the way to town. Lots of duck spots in there. Look all around Wickenburg and you will find tons of tanks and most hold ducks and some geese, Unit 21 and 22 would be a bit better than 24b.

• Like 2

You can follow the Verde River from Camp Verde all the way to Mesa and be into ducks the entire way. Just stay away from houses, reservations, and towns. Also check out areas near Roosevelt Lake. That is one of my favorite places.

The more tanks you can find the better your chances are you will find Ducks. Just because a tank doesn't have a duck on it now doesn't mean there won't be a duck on it in a few hours or another day. The bigger tanks seem to hold ducks a little more often than the small tanks. The important thing is to find as many water holes that actually have water.

If you can glass the tank prior to jumping it will help you a lot. This will give you an idea of where the ducks are on the tank or if there are any ducks. Once your 1-200 yards from the tank you need to be very quiet. Pond ducks can be very jumpy!!!! Do you best to get as close as possilbe before you jump/run up on the tank. Have fun and cary your bow with you in case you see a Deer!

Thanks Big browns I am definitely taking my bow just in case. Maybe I will have more luck than the last two weekends when I was focused on deer.

So I am in Tucson and not in Phoenix so I can't give any advice about unit 24B specifically but when I tank hop it is pretty much how WampusCat described it. I see where the tanks are located, try to see if there are any ducks on from a distance and then carefully sneak up to the tank ready to shoot. And there is no guarantee there will be ducks... There are tanks I go to where there are ducks one time but not the next. Just have to get lucky!

Happy Hunting and good luck!

Pond jumping can be a lot of fun and can be very productive, but there are no guarantee's you will see or shoot ducks. I spent 8 hours driving around this past Monday pond jumping. We jumped a LOT of tanks and only saw 2 ducks! I would say that was not a normal day, but it can happen. The previous day we slaughtered them. You just never know when a pond is going to be good or bad!

I'm with you Rando. I've never duck hunted but have wanted to get into it for a while. I picked up a few great tips from BigBrowns earlier in the year, but have been so busy with work, family, and other hunts that I haven't given it a go yet. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

The nice part when you jump them they fly out and circle right back over you be ready..

Many ponds can't be seen from a distance because of the competitive water-sucking foliage around them. Because of this they are difficult to jump too. In this case, find a point of entry, and get in there hardly making a sound. Bring your binos and pick apart the pond then make a game plan. If I have a path I can run in on and flush the ducks, I do. If not, I'll try and shoot them on the water. High ground is key as well, if you can find a pond that you can shoot down on, your success will skyrocket. Not only do the bb's retain energy longer when shooting downhill, but it is rare for the waterfowl to look up and bust you, unless your as loud as a train. Study the topography on Google earth. Find an AZ flyway and plot where they will stop. For example I looked at some tanks at the base of a mountain range with no major water source nearby. I went out there religiously thinking it was such great habitat it would have to hold ducks eventually! I never even found a feather. Tanks located beneath or between lakes are great. Look south of Roosevelt or any of those north central Phoenix areas, or along the rivers flowing into or out of those lakes. I don't hunt over there any more so I don't care. And one last thing, teal tend to circle a few times after being flushed. If you can't get a shot off initially be patient! They will most likely circle back! The green wing teal look like the dominant species this year. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

I throw rocks to create waves to push the bird to shore. It can take a while at times. A fishing pole is best.

• Like 1