LIK2HNT

16A and other youth hunts

My 16 year old son has enough points for these hunts (7 non-resident), but I am not sure how good they are anymore. We are debating upon waiting a few more years and having him hunt the late desert muzzy hunt or hunting a junior hunt in 2016. Anyone have any info on how the 16A youth muzzy hunt went this last year or two? Thanks in advance for any info.

Bill

Are you interested in Coues or just Muley? With that many pts he could draw a great Coues tag.

Don martin posts a lot of hunts that he guides in 16a on here from that unit. If it were me I would send him a message. Maybe he could give you some advice on how the quality of the unit is.

Thanks for the replies everyone. With his busy school schedule, track, and cross country running it looks like 16A or wait a few years and hunt after he graduates HS. He is more interested in mule deer now, but maybe I should start trying to lean him towards coues. I have Don's number somewhere and will have to get in contact with him again. A few years ago when my son and I took the NR supplemental hunters ed with him the report was that 16A was not as good as it use to be. And I have not heard much talk about it on any forums lately.

Bill

I went on the 16a muzzy hunt with my kid dec 2016. We did not hunt that long one evening and the next morning we shot his buck. We saw four bucks and two bucks after he shot his. I had his buck with two others on trail cam, just one time, two weeks prior to his hunt. Only saw three does and they were with the other bucks after we shot. His buck was a 140 front crab claw buck which is a pretty good buck for in there and the biggest we saw.

• Like 1

16 a does not produce 180 type bucks,but you might find a 160 if you hunt hard!!!Most of the bigger buck are the southern part of the unit.You will not see a lot of deer in the south,but maybe a good one.My son had this tag about 4 years ago,and he shot a 27in wide 166 inch buck we hunted very hard and passed a lot of smaller bucks.

• Like 1

Don Martin offers a great price for taking kids on that hunt super cheap pretty much the same price as two-three scouting trips

The multi unit hunt that includes 17b and 19a are great tags. Prescott Mule deer foundation puts on a mentorship camp there. I volunteer on it every year. The kids absolutely hammer great bucks every year. Alot of 140- 150 and a couple that break 160 to 175 class

• Like 1