RackTracker

Double Down on Opening Morning!

My Dad and I both filled our 2015 archery tags in December so we were both looking forward to January 1st. While scouting the last week in December, I located a nice 4 point I called Dude. this would be my target for 1-1-16.

Just before daylight on opening morning, my Dad and I were almost to our glassing point when we came up on some deer just above us. Our packs were fully loaded and our bows were strapped on our packs. We stopped and slowly got out the rangefinders and one pair of binos. My Dad located a nice 3 point in the group but was not the buck I was after. As we watched the deer mill around, I got my bow ready. As the minutes passed , it became light enough to see more deer and light enough to shoot. I was carefully looking at each deer trying to locate Dude. By this time, my Dad had his bow out too. Just a few minutes later, the 3 point presented a broadside shot. I gave my Dad a range of 58 yards and he let one fly. The arrow hit solid and the deer ran downhill from us about 175 yards before bedding down. We had moved about 25 yards from our packs. As we went back to retrieve them, we saw a few more deer above us. A quick look through the binos revealed Dude standing motionless above us in the trees. My Dad gave me a range and I moved a few steps for a clear broadside shot. I held my 70 yard pin steady behind the front shoulder and touched the release. Swhack!!! Dude ran about 75 yards and piled up. My Dad and I looked at each other and we could not believe what had just happened. It was 7:28 am! My Dad snuck down and made a 25 yards follow-up shot on his deer and we were done. Although the 2016 hunt only lasted a few minutes, the memories will last forever. i have already started the countdown to 1-1-17. Only 365 more days!

post-12163-0-52494100-1451762827_thumb.jpg

post-12163-0-21407400-1451762838_thumb.jpg

post-12163-0-24832200-1451762910_thumb.jpg

post-12163-0-24202900-1451764038_thumb.jpg

post-12163-0-75648900-1451764047_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

That is great. Now You don't have to worry about putting in fo the draw too. Congrats...............BOB!

• Like 1

Congrats on a double, nice bucks. I did that on a archery javelina hunt one time. The only bad thing is now you have to wait an entire year to hunt deer in AZ again.

• Like 1