Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Favorite Find

Ya think people 100 years from now will enjoy finding the modern day trash?

a lot of water bottles and pampers.

I frequent battlefields, ghost towns, forts and museums. Pulled in to tour Ft Union, NM and they were excavating the latrine for artifacts. Had pulled out pistols, boots and lots of uniform buttons. On a visit to Monticello, VA. archeologists were digging out Jefferson's latrine.

Sheep shears found in cataract canyon. Mule shoe from 17apost-12769-0-30606300-1452110757_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

theres this dude ive seen on instagram that finds so many arrowheads, doesnt make any sense to me. ive seen lots of pottery in 3a, 4b, 37b but never an arrowhead

theres this dude ive seen on instagram that finds so many arrowheads, doesnt make any sense to me. ive seen lots of pottery in 3a, 4b, 37b but never an arrowhead

They're everywhere. Last fall in gmu 9, I pointed out at least 5 to a guy I was hunting with.
  • Like 1

They're everywhere. Last fall in gmu 9, I pointed out at least 5 to a guy I was hunting with.

i guess i need to train my eye to see them

i guess i need to train my eye to see them
Exactly. They're normally made of igneous stone, occasionally petrified wood. They're easiest to spot in sandstone country where igneous isn't native. Look for rock with tooling marks and lithic scatters on the ground where stone tools were made and knapping occurred. But don't touch unless on private land.

post-11051-0-42576700-1452123087_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I was on Anderson Mesa's edge in 5 when I looked down and there was pottery shards everywhere and a large hide scraper. Cool that we hunt the same ground all these years later.

• Like 1

I was on Anderson Mesa's edge in 5 when I looked down and there was pottery shards everywhere and a large hide scraper. Cool that we hunt the same ground all these years later.

Yeah and I see a lot of corn grinders, mortars and metates where there is no longer reliable water. Lots of climatic changes over the millenniums. It's all man's fault. Al Gore warned us this would happen.

• Like 5

Sheep shears found in cataract canyon. Mule shoe from 17aattachicon.gifimage.jpg

awesome finds, Explorer, love to have found those shears. I saw a similar kleated driving shoe at a gun emplacement, Ft Craig, NM. Maybe a mule threw it pulling one of the forts 6" brass Howitzers during the battle of ValVerde? Fun to think so, anyhow.

I wish I had photos of all the arrowheads and native american artifacts my dad found on private land here in NM. The coolest was a leather awl made from the jaw bone of a deer. It was all donated to the Maxwell Museum at UNM in Albuquerque. One year the sheriff had to call out the local forensic anthropologist from UNM to determine the skull that washed down the arroyo was not a recent homicide but an old indian burial.

• Like 2