Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Crunch Time Bucks

Well, Suzy and I defied the odds and both drew late whitetail tags, In different units. We headed south for the first couple of days and found quite a few bucks with the help of some friends but nothing to get too excited about. Suzy had to go back to work and I did also so we vowed to come back at the end of her hunt.

I had the last couple of weeks of my hunt off and was able to spend 10 of the last 14 days in the field. Had a great time hunting with my son, brother, and Dan my daughters boyfriend from Vermont. Spent a lot of time in the wind glassing the less windy bottoms and opposing hillsides and it paid off. We found numerous bucks each day, and passed some really good deer.

December 30th Dan picked up a buck a long ways off in an area where my brother and I had seen an absolute monster a couple of days earlier. We were able to pick up the does the big buck was with on the same hillside but could never locate him again. I was a little hesitant to pursue the buck Dan had glassed but as the day warmed up and still no sign of the big buck we took off.

An hour later we peaked over a saddle and two mule deer does had us pegged at fifty yards. As they went crashing down the canyon I knew it was going to turn into a rodeo real quick and it did. The boys were calling them out as whitetails started busting out from everywhere and I felt like I was quail hunting trying to get on them. Eventually the buck we had seen came out of the bottom and started up the other side.

post-958-0-05342700-1452048287_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-36154200-1452048336_thumb.jpg

We had one more day to hunt so we headed south again. We got kind of a late start and were walking into an area to set up and glass when my son Dane picked up a buck in his bed on a really thick hill side. Suzy looked him over and decided to take him.

post-958-0-47115600-1452048535_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-40436200-1452048578_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Congrats! Been a long time since I spent ten straight days in the field, you're a lucky man.

Way to get it done singleshot! What a great year for you and your family. Congrats!

Nice job! Did your wife shoot her's in the head, or did he get gored by another buck?

Way to go you guys! That's quite the luck drawing late tags the same year in different units, looks like you made the most of it. Congratulations to you both on some fine bucks. It's tough passing those really good bucks holding out for a great one and it normally leads to tag soup, happy it did not in this case!

Congrats on getting it done! Those bucks are awesome!

Nice job guys beautiful bucks. Congrats on your hunts