Sign in to follow this  
Physch

Glassing New Area Questions

I am an avid still hunter. I traditionally carry binoculars and a tripod, but I only use the binoculars when I have found a deer and want to get more detail. I have decided that I would like to get better at glassing and have a couple of basic questions to getting started.

When glassing a new area how long do you search before moving on to the next spot? For example, do you use time or the number of passes over a mountain?

Do you walk the new area to find game trails, sheds, rubs, scraps, etc. to locate hot spots and glass at a later time?

I scout for sign before i ever bother glassing. If i am seeing a lot of sign, tracks and poop, i will come back another time and glass. I will glass a few hours in the morning before moving to another area. You just never know when something might pop up.

once I decide an area needs to be glassed I stay around all day. I may move around alittle for diferant angles but I stay in the same area.

Il pick an area because of sign on the ground or just be cause I think it looks good. Either way once I sit down I know there are critters around I just have to find them

• Like 2

once I decide an area needs to be glassed I stay around all day. I may move around alittle for diferant angles but I stay in the same area.

Il pick an area because of sign on the ground or just be cause I think it looks good. Either way once I sit down I know there are critters around I just have to find them

Great post !

The 3 B's are the way to go. Butt, (sit on it) Bino's and Brain. Use all 3 and You won't have to walk as much until You finds some critters..............Good Luck...............BOB!

When going to a new area I spend a few hours online looking at maps to learn the lay of the land. I find the best spots to glass from, depending on what I see deturmans how long I stay. If I'm not seeing anything in the first 20-60 minutes time depending on how much there is to glass I'll move on to the next spot.