Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

BROADHEADS

Just to add, I also fletch my arrows with 4 vanes which has proven to be more accurate with broadheads of all types for me.

From my limited experience in front of an animal, I will say that practicing in diverse situations can be of great help. Things such as shooting with you feet angled up or down such as standing on a hillside will add to practice, as well as shooting from your knees and at in-between yardages. Another idea is that running around before you shoot will simulate that rush of adrenaline. Personally, I tend to blame myself for any type of error in my shot, but making practice more difficult has helped counteract some human errors.

Gravediggers! Field point accuracy and total decimation!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like Slick Trick's are getting a lot of positive comments. Might have to look into trying some.

I have another question to ask..........In your experience how do helical fletched arrows shoot compared to straight fletched arrows? Both with fixed blade broadheads. Seems to me that the fixed blades on the broadheads would have an adverse effect on twist of the arrow with helical fletched arrows.

In my opinion the more helical the better when it comes to broadheads. You want the fletching steering the arrow. Thats why I went to four fletch.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like Slick Trick's are getting a lot of positive comments. Might have to look into trying some.

I have another question to ask..........In your experience how do helical fletched arrows shoot compared to straight fletched arrows? Both with fixed blade broadheads. Seems to me that the fixed blades on the broadheads would have an adverse effect on twist of the arrow with helical fletched arrows.

Helicals steer much better. The trade off is they do bleed off speed a little quicker due to more drag on the tail end, but you'll likely never notice the difference at ranges less than 50 yards. If you are currently shooting straight fletches, you'll probably have to resight your long range pins, but the difference is not huge.

I shoot slick tricks as well. Perhaps i missed something, but You are tuning wrong. if you are shooting 1" low with broad heads, you do not change your sight, you raise your rest to tune the broad head. The small movement of the rest will change the flight of the broad head but not of the field tip. This will bring your impact point of you broad heads right to you field tips. It is actually very easy to tune fixed broad heads as long as your bow is tuned.

• Like 1

you don't shoot broadheads and field tips out of a gun. Pretty sure you just shoot bullets. I was taught this long ago from some very excellent shooters, as I used to be confused on it also. Pretty sure Tracy Hardy knows how to tune a broad head.

• Like 1

Just curious but how many (broadheads tuners) would also adjust the barrel of your rifle if it didn't shoot where the scope pointed?

does said rifle launch my bullets sideways?
  • Like 3

Here is a great link on how to tune broadheads. Another great one. Same advice on the G5 website.

You move you REST NOT YOUR SIGHT to make broadheads and field tips shoot the same

If a bow is properly tuned and timed and rest is set at actual center shot and timed the next thing to affect broadheads is either spine or grip. Some bows shoot different broadheads better than others just like guns like certain rounds vs others. In my limited experience of the thousands of bows I've tuned and hunters I've helped set up I have yet to see a properly tuned bow and rest set up with the proper spine arrow not shoot a broadhead well. But taking the bow out of center to make it shoot "correctly" makes little to no sense. You can if absolutely necessary tune it through the yolk or the grip unless there's a medical condition that the can't hold a bow properly.

• Like 1

Slick trick at 55 yards. 20140914_100935_zpsh9efzyvm.jpg

That looks like it came from a "how to kill elk manual"

I'm gonna start an archery broad head wound thread.