Sign in to follow this  
azcoyote

Time for some Binocs. So... 8x or 10x... and Why?

My opinion.

10x42s on a GOOD shoulder harness so you don't have the weight hanging off your neck. You can glass from 10-12' to 1.5 miles with QUALITY 10s.

I also keep a set of 15s in my pack at all times. But I might not grab the pack all the time either. A quick hike after a bunny or covey of quail, sneaking up to a tank to check for ducks, calling for coyotes, heading to a treestand, etc. finds my big pack in the back seat of the truck. But the 10s on a harness are on my chest 99% of the time.

I think glassing experience trumps an additional 80' FOV @ 1000 yards for seeing more game. The additional magnification helps in picking out antler tips, an ear or tail flick, a patch of hair, etc. @ 1000+ yards too. It just takes an extra pass or four to cover a hillside with 10s over 8s. Any bino magnification range (8 to 15X) can pick out a deer or elk standing in the open out to 1.5 miles. It is finding them bedded, unmoving or behind brush that is needed more often. 10s help with the details.

Also, a tripod, whether using 8x or 10x helps tremendously when glassing past a few hundred yards. Even a cheap $50 camera tripod is better than nothing. Bino shake negates seeing most minor movement of game at distance. How can you see an ear move if the whole earth appears to be moving? A rock steady bino lets you pick up very minor movement at long distance. No joke, I can see chipmunks and small birds moving at 1000+ easily when glassing off my tripod with my 10s. Even at a mile. Very eye catching seeing any sort of movement.

Under 600-800 yards is preference. 8s or 10s don't make a big difference at the closer ranges. Under 100 yards, target acquisition experience helps with the 10x over the 8x a bit.

I think 15s are WAY overkill for your only bino. Way too much for glassing under 500-800 unless you have seen it already and are taking a close look. But phenomenal for glassing from 1000 yards out to 2-3 miles.

+100, this is a great post

I always needed something bigger then a 8 or 10 power. I always had a tripod and now all I do is stand up In front of a bush and glass that way. My last hunt I just only brought my 15s and worked perfect. There was one time a small buck jumped in front of us and I just pulled up my 8x range finder and that did just fine. When your Glassing at 300 yards your more focus at one spot and can see detail like no other. And 300-1000 yards it does great

azcoyote you should be happy with 8x and will be set with a good spotter and tripod to accompany them. Consider getting a combination binocular and range finder if your decision isn't already final. This reduces the gear you carry and is very handy.

Personally I like 10x binoculars for the detail and longer range and am not bothered by the narrower field of view. I also carry a spotter and spend most of my time behind it when really looking things over. I can see small birds and even insects and amazing distances with this tool. Sometimes I even see deer or javalina, usually the opposite of what I am looking for. The binos are best for quick peaks and initial scans of places that will get a close look with the spotter.

Like what you have, have what you like.

Indeed. I spent some time trying out 10x and 12x a friend has. The 8s are for me. I have some hand shake from an old injury that becomes much more manageable at 8x off hand. Very happy with my purchase, great sweet spot, and very bright.

I only use binoculars under 10x for scanning (hand holding). 10x has too much image shake for extended scanning with your hands. And, if there is any reason to pack along a tripod for glassing, then I'll pack along at least 12's.

I prefer 6.5-8x at most for scanning.