Sign in to follow this  
ASUAviator

Remington 597 17HMR Delima

About 10 years ago I got a Remington 597 17HMR as a birthday gift from my parents. I occassionally shot it and used it on a few coyote hunts. Never had a problem with it and thought it was a good rifle. For the past few years its laid under the bed and hasnt got much action. I had recently thought about selling it and getting a 223(Ruger mini 14). In researching it I discovered it has been under recall for 6 years and that Remington would give a cheap $250 credit towards another Remington purchase if I send it in.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-warning-recall-notice.aspx

Further reading reveled some people were able to send it back to Remington and get it fixed to shoot 22 mag and others sold/kept it as a ''collectors item''.

My question is which of the 3 options would be the best way to end up with a 55.6/223?

- Send it in, get the $250 towards a 223 Remington.

- Fix/Send it in to shoot 22mag and sell it.

- Sell it as a "collectors item"

This ones confused me so I figured id look for input/experience on this. Thanks!

Man Ive been there. I had this exact problem. It was a present from a girlfriend whos now my wife. So I still have it and I still shoot it all the time. I figured 250 dollars is a joke which incidentally is less than was paid for the gun. So for now I still own the rifle. I can feel for your predicament wanting to sell cause this is a recall where there is no other option to repair it. The 22mag conversion was offered initially however from my research they do not offer that service anymore.

This is one of the reasons why I hate Remington they put out the crappiest of products. Ive owned a Remington 700 whos trigger was not very safe, This rifle your talking about, and you should see pictures of some core-lokt ammo that I have straight from the factory. I sent them photos of the ammo never even bothered to respond.

Hey, go ahead and call the number on the recall page. It'll give you a few prompts and connect you with customer service. They offer ther rebate OR you still have the option to get it re-calibered in 22 mag. I am getting mine re-calibered and it just shipped out this week. All at no cost obviously. Now... Where to find 22 mag ammo when I get my gun back?? Lol I'll still probably sell it and get something in 223/5.56