Sign in to follow this  
jaymzth007

My first archery kill!

My journey attempting to harvest a big game animal with a stick and string started almost 30 years ago, when I was just 10 years old. My dad would put in for archery elk in 4A and put me in with him. At the time, I was hunting with a then new Bear Black Bear set at 40 pounds. I had lots of fun hunting with dad, seeing lots of big elk. I was far too scared and not skilled or even confident enough to take any shots then, but I was hooked from that hunt on. Fast forward 28 years. I have harvested numerous deer, elk, bear, and javalina with rifle, pistols, even muzzle loaders, but have not been able to seal the deal with my bow. Though I practice almost daily with my bow, I have had a few misses (darn branches), blown stalks, and lots of passed shots. I am very confident in my shooting with my bow, and if I feel even the smallest amount of doubt that I won’t hit my mark, I won’t take the shot. Than brings us to this past Saturday.

It started off like any other morning hunting with my good friend Gil (Bishup). We would see a few does here and there, spotting them hundreds of yards off in the brush. We decided to sit on top of a hill and glass the valley down below. There we spotted a nice sized 2x2, not the monster we saw a few weeks earlier (one that I missed due to a dreaded branch), but good enough for my first archery kill. I decided to attempt a stalk on him, but I think he winded another hunter on an opposite hill from us and he started to hurry a little. Gil and I decided to try and head him off, as the buck was headed for a road just a few miles north of where we were. We jumped back in the truck a headed to the next road over. I jumped out of the truck and started into the brush to set up an ambush, but we were too late. He had already made it through where we were. I found the bucks tracks in the mud heading across the road and into a thickly covered hill. Gil and I decided then to back off and set up on a different ridge about 6-700 yards back from the hill where we knew the buck was headed for. After about 30 minutes, Gil spotted him bedded down towards the top of the hill. Since we were down wind, I decided to try and stalk him. We first ranged him at around 650 yards. I snuck through 2 nasty canyons, up a wash, and then up the ridge where the buck was bedded down. After about 2 hours of stalking, I was about 70 yards under him. I looked back at Gil through my binos, who was still on the ridge by the truck and he was flagging me down. He was guiding me up the hill using some sort of epileptic Navy Seal signals, towards the buck. As he guided me into him, I closed the distance to about 30 yards, where I finally saw him looking down at me. I drew my bow back. The deer then turned and took two steps, which prompted me to whistle at him. He stopped and turned back to look at me once again. The only shot I had was his neck and head. I put my pin on the base of his ear and let the arrow fly. I know most people will think that was an unethical shot, but I had more confidence in that shot than any other shot I have ever taken on any animal with any weapon. It just felt right. My Easton Full Metal Jacket, topped off with the exact same Grave Digger broadhead that Gil used on his giant buck just 5 months earlier, found its mark! The arrow hit the brain and the buck dropped instantly. I was speechless. I could hear Gil yelling “Yeah buddy!! You got him!!!” from off in the distance. My quest for my first archery kill was over. Something that my father was not able to accomplish before he passed away just 3 years ago. I know he was helping me out on this one. I know it was an iffy shot, and probably one I would not take again, but I had a real good feeling about it. The Grave Digger did its job perfectly. The heavy Easton FMJ did its job perfectly. I did my job perfectly. I can honestly say I earned this buck. I think my dad would be proud. I want to thank my buddy Gil for helping me out and being there to share what was probably one of the funnest (is that a word?) hunts with me. And for helping me get this guy off the mountain!

post-12025-0-29181300-1452540694_thumb.jpg

post-12025-0-80669500-1452540703.jpg

post-12025-0-98082000-1452540707.jpg

post-12025-0-72239600-1452540716.jpg

• Like 5

Not too long ago before hunters became obsessed with trophy animals head shots were the norm. Maybe not with a bow but the bows were different then as well.

Congrats

• Like 2

Can't say that I've ever thought about shooting a deer in the head with a bow but it looks like it worked out perfect for you and that's what matters. Congratulations to you on your first archery kill! Enjoyed the recap, cracked me up about the hand signals.

• Like 2

Awesome story and shot!!!Congrats

• Like 1

This had to be one of the best hunts i was on. Most people dont understand it or take the time to. But hunter do. This Buck was meant for James jaymzth007 to kill. Almost can tell there was a higher power putting us in the right place at the right time. To spot that buck at 230 then loose him but then to find him again in all that brush at like 4. And for me to some how use my Navy seal skills (im sure i look like a idot out there) and some how James was able to walk James right to the buck and get that shot. My girlfriend and I came up with she looks at James and i keep an eye on the buck. So everytime James will look at us she will say OK GIL he is looking. When i he got like 40 yards My girlfriend and I where freaking out with excitment as the buck got up my girlfriend say James drew back. And my binos was on that buck i seen the arrow fly thru my bino and stop and that buck just drop.
My girl called it she said it was meant to be. Everything played out perfect. For sure James dad had a big part in it for sure. And im super thankful i was there to witness it all go down. And your right mulepackhunter to many people worry about trophies and not the fun in hunting. I killed a 200 plus buck last year and what was the most important thing on that hunt was the people i was with and the people i met. And this buck will be a trophie for James. And will go down as one of the best hunts of my time. lol

• Like 1

Congrats on your success that will be some good eating

• Like 1