Hunterdan

Paralegals/ Wills

Thought I would turn here as there has been a lot of good recommendations on different things over the years on CWT from fellow hunters.

Was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations are experiences with paralegals in the greater phoenix area on having wills/ power of attorney forms done. I have done alot of internet research over the last couple of months but am just not sure with way to turn.

Trying to help those close to me in my life take care of some of their matters. i dont think we are looking to have a trust done but just a good will with power of attorney. Also dont think we need to go through a attorney but just a good paralegal.

I have a lot of connections for different things in life but this is one area I just dont know much are have any solid recommendations on anyone.

Thanks for any advice are recommendations from anyone.

Happy hunting!

Just an FYI I would take another look at a trust and a will together, avoid probate at all costs. Also a medical power and living will so there is no issue making medical decisions. I'm no expert and I don't have an atterny I like but I have learned these items recently and I am doing the leg work now for a few family members as well.

• Like 3

Just an FYI I would take another look at a trust and a will together, avoid probate at all costs. Also a medical power and living will so there is no issue making medical decisions..

Very sound advice.

I'm no expert, I spent some time researching and talking to experts and decided a trust was the way to go. I know several friends and acquaintances that spent years in court waiting for a ruling because of wills and disagreement.

Kudos to you for thinking about these things, many people don't and it never happens, leaving family and estates in limbo or in the care of the state. Also consider a living will and power of medical attorney.

Here is a helpful link to review the latter items.

https://www.azag.gov/sites/default/files/sites/all/docs/lifecare/Life-Care-Planning-Packet-Complete.pdf

To each their own about wills and trusts, I would encourage you to review them again before you decide a will suites your families needs and your confidence that you are OK that your estate will be settled the way you wanted it to be settled.

• Like 1

Without a trust you assets go to the probate courts and many others take little chunks and fees even with a will. A trust keeps assets in trust and the will distributes them out of court. We are setting up a trust and a will. My mom has the same deal. My in-laws are working to do the same asap.

My neighbor down the street died a year ago and his kids still can't touch his house belongings in the house or cars and its all just sitting there. No will or trust in his case.

• Like 1

I would go through an attorney, not just any attorney either. They are like Dr.'s and specialize in different aspects of the law so go to a wills and trust attorney.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. Lots of good info! Keep it coming. I am open to having the trust done if that is the way we should go. I just need to convince those close to me that is the way to go. I know if there are potential disputes in the family between siblings then a trust is for sure the way to go. In my situation we will not have that problem. My Folks situation is simple. House, couple cars, few material items and couple bucks in the bank.

I have heard and read the negatives about probate but have also read that a simple informal probate is a very simple process. With a will in place and no family disagreements the informal probate papers are filed with the court register by paralegal/ Attorney, there is no court hearing. The executer according to will insures everything is fulfilled according to the will. As far as cost the only cost I can find are a $270 fee approx. for court filing fee and of course fees to have the paralegal/ attorney prepare file paperwork. Again I understand that if your situation is ugly with family disagreements then cost can sky rocket with attorney fees and court hearings.

As far as Paralegal verses Attorney I know everyones situation is different and certain things in life require attorneys but as far as having documents prepared and filed for will are trust I cannot understand why I would pay a attorney 2-3K when a certified paralegal can do the same thing for less then half the cost?

This is just some of the info I have gathered from lots of reading and researching. Let me know where I am wrong. I am trying to learn.!

Also am looking for recommendations for paralegal are attorneys that folks have had great experience with. You can post are PM the info to me. Thanks Again this is a real learning curve. Not something you go through life thinking about until the time comes that you have too!

Luke Reynoso

(480) 306-6738

aztaxlawyer.com

Has multipule offices but you will work with him directlly. My family have used him and cost is no where near $2-3k. He represented my mother in law's estate in 2012 when she only had a will and passed suddenly. I highly recommend you give him a call.

Good for you. Everyone should do this.

My recommendation is Susan Sandys http://www.susansandys.com/. She set up my family trust and POA's for finances and medical. She is an attorney, but reasonably priced. More importantly she communicates in English and not jargon.

This is for NM and AZ may be different: Lawyer Vs. Paralegal. Lawyer has been to law school, has malpractice insurance, member of the bar. Paralegal has not been to law school, may not have insurance, not a member of the bar, all work must be checked by a lawyer. If a lawyer screws something up you have a good chance at recourse but maybe not with a paralegal. How do I know this? My wife specializes in Criminal Law, prosecutor for 10 years and defense for 7, so 17 years total law experience. Mainly felonies like murder, some misdemeanors and violent juvenile offenders. I am basically her administrative secretary in my off time. I spent 3 hours today scanning documents and putting them in electronic format. Tomorrow I will file them in the cabinets and create folders. Basically I am doing what a paralegal would do. She will not do a will and trust as she does not practice in that area.

Now you can find a good attorney on an hourly or flat fee. To pay an attorney for one hour of work you are looking at around $250. It should not take 10 hours to do a will and trust for a good attorney. Half the time the attorney uses the paralegal and you are billed at a $75/hour fee rather than the attorney fee. Some have a flat fee depending on how involved the will/trust is. It also depends on the attorney.

Here is what my parents did for my sister and I. We know what is to be "given/taken" by each of us. My parents have already sent quite a bit to us so we will not have to pay inheritance tax. Their house is in all our names so when they are gone my sister and I can either sell it and just pay the capital gains tax on it, from the appraisal when we were added. The other option is either sibling can "buy out" the other and use it as a rental or rent it together and split the monthly income 50/50.

We went to an attorney here that is well versed in wills/trust.