Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

extending hitch on travel trailer

I'm gonna have to look at the jack closer. These extenders look ok for a boat or something like that but looks like they rate out at 3500-4000 lbs max which is too low for my application.

Build a bed topper and put the machine above the bed rails and you gain back your bed also

I used that extender when I had my 12x5 trailer for my quads. I had 1 quad on my bed and 3 on the trailer. You may need to get an extension for your trailer wiring...I did. But if you have enough slack then you may be ok.

• Like 1

If you have a wight distribution set up you can purchase one of these "Wt. Dist. Shank, 14,000 lbs. (GTW), 1,400 lbs. (TW), 14" Length". This is what I had to go to as I am in the same situation.

Auto Safety House sells a couple of different extensions like that that are much more robust for towing heavier trailers. I would look at them prior to towing your travel trailer with the one from harbor freight. I have both, the one from ASH is much heavier duty. Would it work to just remove your tailgate as already suggested? That may solve your issue.

• Like 1

Auto Safety House sells a couple of different extensions like that that are much more robust for towing heavier trailers. I would look at them prior to towing your travel trailer with the one from harbor freight. I have both, the one from ASH is much heavier duty. Would it work to just remove your tailgate as already suggested? That may solve your issue.

ASH would definitely be better than harbor freight.

I have a quad rack that slides into the pickup bed I am willing to sell. It fits my 6.5' bed, so would only hang over about a foot, with tailgate removed. The deck is designed for two quads, but could easily be modified for one in the center. The nice thing about this setup is you still have the bed for gear.