Explorer

What was your first hunting rifle?

Got a late start to hunting, but bought my first big game rifle in the mid 90s. Was looking for an all purpose elk, muley and whitetail gun. It was a Remington 700 Classic in 7MM Weatherby, which was a little big for the whitetail. :-)

JC Highins model 50, 270 with 4* Weaver

In 1968 my older brother came home from VietNam with a pocket full of money and bought me a Savage .222 bolt action rifle paid $50 for it. I still have it and still shoot it.

Winchester model 70 xtr in .264 win mag topped it off with a tasco 4x16 scope....woowee those were the days.

Grew up in wny shooting groundhogs with it.

Bought it when I was 14, wish I still had it though I now own mostly customs.

Small Game was a marlin 39 .22 Lever action ( age 10 )

Big Game was a Winchester Model 70 25-05 ( age 13 ) ... When I was 18 and in a Bind I wanted to auction off this gun , but Dad said No way and He would hold it for safe keeping until I was financially stable again ... Came to sight it in a year later for a hunt, and found it was gone and he had traded it for a 300 win mag ... To say the least I was a Little pissed

I did not start hunting until I moved onto a ranch in South Texas after college in 1980. First rifle was a Remington 700 BDL chambered in 7mm Express Remington. I chose that cartridge because John Wooters' had written so nicely about it, and I wanted to be different from the vanilla 270 and 30-06 flavorings.

Remington 788/243 Win. Collected cans for several weeks until I made 200 dollars back in 1984. That rifle was used by me and my younger brothers. It had seven mule deer kills and nine whitetail kills before I stopped using it. Five years ago I put a new trigger and a new Vortex scope on it and gave it to my youngest son. He has taken four whitetail and one mule deer buck with it. What a great little rifle!

• Like 2

Yup, 303 British for me as well, cool old rifle. Safe queen now. Soon to be my youngest first rifle:)