Sign in to follow this  
m77

T/C Hawken 50 Caliber Loads

Any suggestions for loads in the T/C Hawkens 50 Caliber. I haven't shot it for a few years and my son is interested in hunting elk either in AZ or CO with it. I use to shoot 110 grs Pyrodex RS with a 320 gram lead bullet I made from a mold I had. Works wonders on Wisconsin Whitetail, however I hunted a cedar swamp and shot them at under 20 yards most of the time. Needless to say they never went very far.

I was thinking about trying one of the sabots to get more range and accuracy. The home made lead bullets weight made them drop quickly at longer distances and tended to not group well on a target. When using them at 20 yards in a cedar swamp I wasn't worried too much about either disadvantage. A longer range shot at an elk I would like better of both accuracy and less drop.

I don't know if the twist rate (I assume 1/60?) would stabilize a sabot but I would look into the Barnes sabots line.

250-300 grainers.

Also there is the Thor line of bullets, they are a full bore solid copper (Barnes) and have a big hollow point tip.

Those you would have to order a sample pack to get your perfect bore size. I.e. = .500" .501" .502" etc

Some ideas there.

One big reason I get mad at post is some guy that has to chime in with "I do not know but I think" and then they add wrong info!!! Sorry I had to get that out of the way. Your TC should be a 1in48 twist it normally be noted if other than that. If it is a 1in60 or1in66 twist you should not shoot anything but round balls!!! There is no advantage to shooting a sabot over a lot of the minie balls or Maxie balls. You are only limited to how well you can shoot your rifle. I.E. see your sights and your target. There is the Winter national muzzleloader shoot down in Phoenix at Ben Avery Shooting Range on March 1-7 there is more correct knowledge there than you can learn in a life time. Bring your rifle and shoot too. As for your loads stick with what works. I have never liked any of the substitute powder. I love Swiss black powder.

I have used 100 grains of 777 with a 45 cal Expander MZ (300 gr) sabot in my Hawken (actually its a Renegade with a 50 cal barrel). I have the Mag Spark conversion(http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html) so I can use 209 primers in it. Works great and is accurate. Bulls never went far after hit with this combo. Before that, I used 110 grains of Pyrodex behind a 370 T/C Maxi Ball that worked great too.

I've shot a truck load o' critters with my old tc hawken .50. Always used 90 grains of ff with a 240 gr .429 cal hornady xtp hollow point in a sabot. 100 gr of pyrodex with the same bullet oughta work too. Lark

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. The barrel has a 1/48 twist. I also did read that Colorado does not allow sabot. My son is going to put in for AZ muzzleloader Elk first. If he doesn't draw we can hunt CO over the counter tag. I might stick with the Maxi bullets to be legal either state. What distances are you guys sighting in and shooting.

Maxi balls shoot real well out to 100. I'd sight it in at that range. Just remember that animals don't react much when you lung shoot em with an all lead bullet. Usually run off like they ain't hit. Lark

• Like 1

Maxi balls shoot real well out to 100. I'd sight it in at that range. Just remember that animals don't react much when you lung shoot em with an all lead bullet. Usually run off like they ain't hit. Lark

Lark nailed it. Out of the two bulls I hit with Maxi Balls, the first one (and my first elk ever) smashed through the both shoulders. That shot was at 15 yards. He went down right away. But the second one went through both lungs and buried itself on the far side hide. It wasn't too deformed (no expansion) and he went a little ways before dying. That shot was around 90 yards.

Great topic. I have a traditional great plains. Its the hunter version with a 1/32 twist. Anyone know any good loads for that twist? I have really only used round balls for hunting with it.

They make better bullets now I think, but I put a lotta stuff down with maxi balls. They are very accurate. But a big slug o' lead going that slow doesn't deform much. A good lung shot does the job tho. A 1/32 will shoot one real well. Lark