Sign in to follow this  
AlwaysMiss

Draw Help??

Hello All!

I have been putting in for elk in Arizona for the past 3 years and still cant really figure out how to calculate their draw odds for non-resident. Can anyone help me out? I can help you out for New Mexico if that is something you would like! Thanks in advanced!

Hello All!

I have been putting in for elk in Arizona for the past 3 years and still cant really figure out how to calculate their draw odds for non-resident. Can anyone help me out? I can help you out for New Mexico if that is something you would like! Thanks in advanced!

Archery in 27 and 1 is all I have put in for.

2zdnle8.gif

• Like 3

Cant win it if your not in it! I know its a long shot but one day! Been drawing NM gila tags which works for me!

you have no chance until you have 13 points i dont think. sounds harsh but its true i just checked

• Like 1

My recommendation is buy a membership to hunters trailhead.com. There you can calculate draw odds based on bonus point levels. Unit 1 is one of the harder draw tags in the state and 27 is only a bit behind it. With the recent change (takes effect this year) you have a "chance" at drawing these tags. In previous years you literally had zero chance because all of the non-res tags were drawn in the bonus point pass round (only the highest point holders). This means it took 10 or more points to even be in the running. If you really want to hunt those two units, keep applying and wait. You will most likely be waiting a minimum of 5-7 years more unless you luck out. If you are open to any unit, start looking at units with better odds. A few easier draws are units 4a,4b,5a,5b,6a,6b,7e,and 8.

• Like 1

U don't have the bonus points to draw in the bonus pass. Random pass basically u take total applicants R and NR and divide by number of tags left after bonus pass. Of course NR are limited to 10% total tags. So if 1000 applicants apply and there's 200 tags after bonus you would 20% odds. There's more factors at play but this a rough way to get an idea of y odds

Gohunt is supposedly adding draw odds to their website and they are supposed to be the most accurate draw odds of any tool out there in the industry but I'm not a member. Been thinkin bout joining .

Regarding early archery, every hunt that had nr tags drop to the 1-2 Pass, issued the remaining tags under the nr cap except one. So, if you follow Thomas11's note, you can get a ratio of apps vs nr tags in that 1-2 pass and calculate rough odds. Bonus Points come into play so those with more points have the advantage of more chances for a lower draw number.

Personally, If I wanted to hunt, I would heed AZbugler's advise and change units.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies! I know its a long shot but I will keep trying! One day maybe ill get lucky! If not hopefully my dollars go to good use in Arizona for wildlife! I don't know any units besides 27 and 1 and I only know a little bit about them!