Sign in to follow this  
brademan76

Dragoons and Chiricahuas

Meeting a friend from NM this weekend around the halfway mark to put the AZ bird season to bed. That puts us in the Willcox area so we are planning to search the nearby mountain ranges (Dragoons and Chiris) with a focus on finding some mearns and then chasing scalies after we get too tired and frustrated to keep looking.

Neither of us have ever been in these areas, so we are just going in with a map, fresh legs, good boots and hoping for the best. I'll have my shorthair so I'm hoping we can put some scent in his nose before the long snakey months before he'll be able to get after anything again.

Anyone have experience or success in these areas that wouldn't mind sharing some general locations to try? A decent access road, or anything would be very much appreciated. PM's welcome too.

Thanks and good luck to anyone else going out for the last time this weekend!

I suggest you hunt the foothills , I don't think you will chase anything very long on the sides of the mountains

• Like 1

The cherry cows are a hard hunt where most of the mearns reside as well as a lot of private lands posted.

The dragoons have mearns, Easiest way to get to them is middle march pass out of tombstone.

When you get to the top of the pass the road snakes down to the right with a cutoff to the left, Used to be known as china camp.

Following this will take you to a couple of dirt tanks surrounded by typical mearns country, This is in the middle of the dragoons.

Used to hunt the three sisters ranch before it got posted, Took several slams in there over the years. You will pass that ranch on the way up the pass.

On middle march there is a golf course on the right (locate by the dead and dying palms seen from the road now defunct) gambels and scaled are both in the area.

A couple of open steel tanks on the right will place you in the foothills. P. M. me if you decide to try it, I'll be out for the season end also.

• Like 2

I have run into Mearns in canyons and draws above 4000 ft.. The Scales are all round that area from the dragoons to the chiricahuas. Like said above, Mearns are hard to chase on the side of a mountain but are a lot of fun.

Didn't cover nearly the ground we had intended. Thanks for the information a few people shared. We got into the dragoons but didn't put up any quail.

Never made it to the Chiricahuas. Hunted a few places in between for scalies/gambels but action was slow.

3rd Gen Native- it was nice meeting you. Thanks for showing us around a bit!

Going to be a long off-season waiting to hunt quail again.

Too bad the season ended yesterday. I ran into about 30 mearns and 8 scales.

post-13573-0-57710700-1454982860_thumb.jpg

post-13573-0-23718900-1454982918_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey next season if you want to get together and hunt let me know you know haw to reach me

Broodstock!! May they have a successful nesting season (double hatch?) and provide a lucky sportsmen with an opportunity next season!

Late morning before I was able to meet up with Brady and Evan, Truly a great couple of guys to hunt with!!!

Most area's that were holding birds had been hard hit with dog trials in the last few weeks.

coveys were reduced to a half dozen or so, Most getting up at the fifty yard or better mark.

Evan had the most amazing event, A single scaled flushing at fifty yards flying another fifty landed in a

mesquite tree, Evan walked up and the bird stayed frozen, Standing under it Evan nocked it out of the tree with his gun

barrel never firing a shot bird plunges to the grass where Evan reached in for a retrieve!! Never seen anything like this!!!

Looking forward to a retrial next year Guys!! On to fishing

• Like 1