Sign in to follow this  
DUG

1st Double on javelina

LukeDuke and I went out for our HAM hunt in 23 this morning. 27 degree start and we found a herd in the sun at the top of a ridge. By the time we got near them they had moved to the bottom. Luke went high and I stayed low. Shot mine at about 45 yards with my Model 29. Luke then shot his about 4 minutes later going up the opposite hill and made a nice 120 yard shot on the run with his Ruger Redhawk.

20160205_105417_zpszyvte0de.jpg

• Like 8

Good shooting. I was lucky enough to have taken two with handguns over the years. It is a thrill that never gets old. I have the general hunt this year and my nephew is coming out from NY to tag along and I can't wait.

We have talked about it for years and it's finally happening.

Congratulations on your pigs. I only wish them little critters had more meat on them. :)

TJ

Nice job! Long range 44 mag shooting is one of my favorite past times.

Luke used 240 grain semi jacketed soft point. I used a PMC 180 grain sort of hollow point. Luke's blew out the lungs. Mine took out part of stomach and 1 lung. Mine went maybe 15 feet. Luke's dropped on the spot.

• Like 1

That is the way to do it. I am taking out a newb and his friend in the morning scouting in 37 which is new to me but we saw some tracks the last time out. Hopeing on being able to take them out again next weekend and at least get them on some piggies but I have my own hunt up north on the general hunt.

• Like 1

Well done

Thanks guys! I had loaded up the rem 240gr Semi Jacketed Soft Points with a healthy dose of H110. That bullet should have been moving at about 1400fps. I was shooting at a downward angle. Bullet entered 3 inches below the spine on the left side and exited just behind the right shoulder. Clean pass through the boiler maker. DUG was using a PMC Semi Jacketed Truncated Cone 185gr that was probably clipping along at 1500-1600fps. It was such a rush sneaking in on the pigs. Everytime i crept forward thinking they would bust at any moment. Dug shot his and i had one less than 50yds away but on the same side of the hill. It was so thick I couldn't see it. So we were shoutin to each other when another pig busts out and thats the one i smoked. I need to start wearing a go pro. It was a shot of a lifetime for sure.

• Like 1

Congrats to you guys! That just rekindled my affection for the 44 mag,had a few and been debating on getting a nice hunting handgun again..Good shooting.

• Like 1

That is the way to do it. I am taking out a newb and his friend in the morning scouting in 37 which is new to me but we saw some tracks the last time out. Hopeing on being able to take them out again next weekend and at least get them on some piggies but I have my own hunt up north on the general hunt.

Good luck Predator!