Sign in to follow this  
Mountainman99

Same hunt for first and second choice?

I heard once that it gave you better odds to put the same hunt number for first and second choice. Can anyone confirm this? I really only want to hunt one hunt but if I'm wasting my second choice in doing that I'll do another hunt I would like to do as well.

No. If your first choice has tags left, you get one. If not, they go to your second choice to see if it has any tags available. If your second choice is your first choice, you wasted a second chance.

• Like 4

You need to look at your choices and the likelihood of not drawing your 1st choice in the Bonus Pass, drawing your 2nd, then missing the opportunity to draw the 1st choice in the 1-2 Pass because you already draw and are out of the draw.

• Like 2

Lance and Bob are correct. There is no need to put your first and second choice as the same hunt. However if you do choose a second choice be careful not to choose a hint for which you will draw in the bonus pass. If you draw your second choice in the bonus pass you will not be considered for your 1st choice in the 1-2 pass.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I don't see how that would be possible but I have heard of people doing this

I learned this on a javi hunt. Got drawn for second choice and my first choice had leftover tags? WTF!? So I called and listened about this pass that pass the other pass this % that % ????? So like they said if your second choice is easy draw do not put it with a hard to draw first choice.

• Like 1

I learned this on a javi hunt. Got drawn for second choice and my first choice had leftover tags? WTF!? So I called and listened about this pass that pass the other pass this % that % ????? So like they said if your second choice is easy draw do not put it with a hard to draw first choice.

This becomes a double edged sword as you start to creep up in points. You have to decide if you are going to hold out, or burn the points on a less premium guaranteed hunt. But yes, be cautions of that second choice hunt as your points start to creep up.

This becomes a double edged sword as you start to creep up in points. You have to decide if you are going to hold out, or burn the points on a less premium guaranteed hunt. But yes, be cautions of that second choice hunt as your points start to creep up.

The position I was in this year exactly. Points burned! Life's too short.

I did my self in on deer with that this year. I drew my second choice in bonus round so I never even had a chance at my first choice. I will pay more attention from here on out.

Lance and Bob are correct. There is no need to put your first and second choice as the same hunt. However if you do choose a second choice be careful not to choose a hint for which you will draw in the bonus pass. If you draw your second choice in the bonus pass you will not be considered for your 1st choice in the 1-2 pass.

Hope this helps.

Hunts like the early rifle/muzzy fill on the bp round? Particularly the early 3B muzzy hunt as I put that in for 1st choice with only 5bp. :-(

Hope this helps.

Hunts like the early rifle/muzzy fill on the bp round? Particularly the early 3B muzzy hunt as I put that in for 1st choice with only 5bp. :-(

No, what they're saying is that the second choice doesn't do you any good at all if it's the same unit. Only 20% of the tags are drawn in the BP round, so you always have a chance! It used to be that all non resident allocated tags were gone by the end of that round. Now it is not that way as only half of the non resident allocation can go in the BP round.

• Like 1

That's something I never even thought about. Good to know now before I screw up my points I've been building up. Second choice can be picked in the BP pass and you wouldn't even have a chance at your first choice.

Hope this helps.

No, what they're saying is that the second choice doesn't do you any good at all if it's the same unit. Only 20% of the tags are drawn in the BP round, so you always have a chance! It used to be that all non resident allocated tags were gone by the end of that round. Now it is not that way as only half of the non resident allocation can go in the BP round.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

Hope this helps.

this is confusing. what is the 1-2 pass?

the more i read about the draw process, the less i understand it.

my first choice was a late rifle tag that's relatively hard to get.

my second choice is a late archery tag that's very easy to get.

are you saying i have no or little chance of getting my first choice?

• Like 1

Hope this helps.

this is confusing. what is the 1-2 pass?

the more i read about the draw process, the less i understand it.

my first choice was a late rifle tag that's relatively hard to get.

my second choice is a late archery tag that's very easy to get.

are you saying i have no or little chance of getting my first choice?

Here is a simplified explanation under normal situations.

There are several different rounds in the draw. The following round is not considered until the previous round is complete.

1 - The max point round (15% of tags will be allocated in this round, 10% for residents and 5% for non residents)

2 - 1st and 2nd choice random round

3 - 3rd, 4th, and 5th choice random draw round.

Lets say that you first choice requires 10 points to draw for max points and your second choice takes 6 points for max points.

You enter the draw with 6 points.

In the max point round, they look at your first and second choice max points. You don't have max points for your first choice so they look at your second choice. You do have max points for your second choice. You automatically get a tag for your second choice. After all tags are allocated for all for the max point round, they start the random draw round. You already have a tag from the previous round, and are not eligible for the random draw round. Hence you had zero chance of drawing your 1st choice.

Make sense?

• Like 1