Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

desert monument and shooting

This arrived today as an alert to SCI members in Arizona.

Safari Club International (SCI) is encouraging all of its Arizona members to provide their input to the Arizona Game and Fish Department for revisions of a portion of the Sonoran Desert National Monument (SDNM).

Under a March 2015 federal court order, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is required to reanalyze the impacts of recreational target shooting in the 486,400-acre SDNM. This reanalysis will determine whether and to what extent recreational shooting will be allowed in the SDNM in the future.

A 60-day public scoping period is underway through March 21 to help guide the BLM in the development of land-use management alternatives related to recreational target shooting. Alternatives will range from various degrees of restrictions on shooting to an alternative that will close the entire SDNM to shooting, including target practice and the sighting-in of firearms. Based on public input and impact analysis of each alternative, a plan amendment will be drafted and released at a later date for another round of public comment.

Three public meetings have been scheduled:

Feb. 24: 5:30-9:30 p.m., Arizona Game and Fish Department, 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086

Feb. 25: 4-8 p.m., Gila Bend Community Center, 202 N. Euclid Ave., Gila Bend, AZ 85337

Feb. 26: 4-8 p.m., Estrella Mountain Regional Park, 14805 W. Vineyard Ave., Goodyear, AZ 85338

It is of utmost importance that SCI members who value their freedom to target shoot on federal public lands attend at least one of the public meetings listed above and submit comments to the BLM at the address below.

You can be certain that those who have been fighting to close the SDNM to target shooting and who are responsible for the lawsuit that lead to the court ruling last year will be attending the meetings and submitting comments. Please dont let their voices be the ones that the BLM hears.

Mail comments to the BLMs project manager, Wayne Monger, at 21605 N. 7th Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85027, or fax to (623) 580-5623,

or e-mail to BLM_AZ_SDNMtargetshooting@BLM.gov.

• Like 3

this is important, yet has no comments.

if it was a post about craft beer, the superbowl, or the game and fish website, we'd be on page 5.

but since our liberties our at stake, no one cares.

thanks Bill!!

• Like 1

It takes little effort to comment in an email. All you need to say is, "I support target shooting on the Sonoran Desert National Monument," -- ten words -- and add your name and city.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

Hey Bill I tried to send a email but it says it's not a valid email. I'll look into it

Edit, I did a cut and paste on your post and left a period after gov, my bad

• Like 1

Email sent.