MULEPACKHUNTER

Let's talk tires

So recently I had to upgrade my truck and went with the ram 2500 4x4. The Firestone crap they put on this thing are by 3 times over the worst tires I have ever seen. They wear really bad, I rotate at 3000 and they won't make it to 30,000 , I am guessing 25,000 and they will start really going downhill.

I drive maybe 70/30 hwy vs off road and pull a gooseneck horse trailer a lot of the time.

Looking for what others have experience with for an all terain type tire in a 10 ply?

I used to Ru. Michelien only but in a good all terrain they don't have the best selection. I was getting 50,000 plus out of those but they are street tires.

• Like 1

The Michelin LTX A/T 2 was an excellent tire for me. It had a slightly more aggressive tread pattern but still rode excellent and wore even better.

The only reason I am not running them now is because they stick to factory sizes only.

I went with something a bit taller and wider for the look and I regret it now.

I don't do a lot of towing, but the Goodyear Kevlar MT/R's are just fantastic. Quiet enough on the street, and more than enough for the dirt.

• Like 1

If you can rotate every month, the Nitto Terra Grapler worked great! But,when I got married and free time was at a premium, I wasnt able to rotate my tires that often and the second set capped out quickly.

• Like 2

I have always been a michelin fan and am now looking at cooper tires. I regularly get 60,000 out of michelin which will be hard to beat. they just dont offer a off road tire.

Michelin for longevity, but they are not very aggressive. I have had great luck with the BFG AT's in the past on my Dodge diesel 2500's but a lot of people don't like them on heavier trucks. My current truck had Toyo Open Country AT's that did ok but I don't think they would last more than about 40K, and I didn't tow much during that time.

That said I am switching back to BFG AT's now and will give them a try. I already have 2 on the truck and after a few thousand miles I don't notice any wear or issues. 2 More will replace the other Toyo's when I get my tax return back.

I used to routinely get 55-65K out of my BFG's on my 98 Dodge Cummins, but that was typically all highway miles with only about 1,000lbs of cargo in the bed.

Harley

I just put the new bfg ko 2s on at the advise of my neighbor who works at discount. On a duramax 2500, no noise or bounce. Smoother than toyos and goodyears I've had on it.

Toyo AT 2 is what I run on my tundra.love the tire!! I get about 50k with about a 70/30 on road off road ratio. Not a lot of road noise and clean pretty good in mud. They are kind of a hybrid at/mt. I used to be a BFG AT guy but no more.. Definatly worth a look.

• Like 2

BFG upgraded the A/T KO and it's now called the KO2. The lugs are not quite as tall and are reinforced. The old design would get squirrelly under a heavy load. The new version is for more stable under a heavy load and are designed to wear better.

The Cooper ATP (Discount Tire only) is a really good tire for the price. The tread has been good to great in all conditions except the sloppiest mud. They perform exceptionally well on pavement and and are surprisingly adept to steep and loose.

• Like 1

Love my Coopers no issues goin on 50 000

If I had my druthers I would co Cooper ST Maxx on my 3/4-ton diesel.

I have a $700 Costco card that I will be using for new tires this summer so I will be getting 295/70/18 Michelin Defender's for my F250. Costco doesnt have much to choose from other than BFG KO2's which would be ~$300 more and Ive read that they arent holding up under the weight of the diesels.....

I second the Cooper Discoverer ATP. I've got 12,000 miles on my current set and they still look brand new. When I take them in for rotation, Discount is always impressed how they're wearing.

This is on a half ton truck however. Not sure how it would do on your 2500.