MULEPACKHUNTER

Let's talk tires

Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 4X4 have not let me down. Pretty quiet and wearing great. No vibrations to speak of. Have about 35K on them and I have put a lot of rugged use on them. (Unit 22) I fully expected to blow/tear/cut one on some of the trails I run. Have yet to pull the spare out. (Probably jinxing myself) The next set I buy will be the same. The reviews on the G2 have made me think I'll stay with the originals. (Not the G2)

I've had quite a few of the ones mentioned here and currently running the Cooper ATP. So far, so good. BFG is a darn good tire, just wears a bit faster than I would like for the money. If you are off road enough though they are worth it IMO.

I'm running the Cooper STT's on my Power Wagon and really like them. These are 37" and balanced perfectly, they wear well, aren't terribly loud and are fairly easy on the wallet.

post-13685-0-09635800-1456093753_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-00712000-1456093784_thumb.jpg

Tires require compromise. What is best off road rarely gets good mileage on road. On road tires can be down right dangerous off road when they self destruct miles from anywhere. This is especially bad when you ruin your spare and you only carry one. Ask me why both my trucks carry two spares.

Whatever you do, don't put "P" tires on any truck that sees any 4x4 duty other than snow only. "P" is supposed to stand for "Passenger," but really is the first letter in POS when used off road. Even if the tread depth looks good, they can be so bruised from even moderate 4x4 work that a patch kit will not help. Ask me how I know.

For a vehicle that sees mostly pavement and you desire more than 30,000 of tread life you really have to pick an AT over an MT. I have run both AT's and MT's on my '04 RAM 2500 diesel. When my son had it as a daily driver we ran AT's. They did OK off road, but in the end succumbed to the bruising as one finally burst a sidewall. Now that the RAM is back to occasional duty it runs GoodYear MT/R's as it did before. I'll only get 30,000 miles at best on these tires, but that is OK with me as this is probably more than three years of driving for this truck. By the way the MT/R's have fantastic grip in decomposed granite, mud and on rocks. With three ply sidewalls they also put up exceptionally well with aggressive low pressure 4x4 work.

Good luck on your choice. It will require a compromise. Make the one that is best for your situation and buy 6 of what ever you choose so you can carry two spares. It is even better when they are easy to get to.

post-4523-0-36683300-1456264574_thumb.jpg

MULEPACKHUNTER - I am in the same situation as you. Upgraded to a 15' 2500 Cummins. The tires are garbage. I too will be towing and am following this thread closely. Please let us know what your decision is once it's made.

Thanks!

I have had Nitto and Toyo. Don't like either!

I bought the new AT KO-2 LT325/65/r18 just under a year ago.

I have put 43,000 miles on them only rotated them 4 or 5 times .

Looking like 50,000 to 55,000 miles is going to be the total!

Rides excellent, no noise,

Gonna buy another set!

I didn't buy Discounts warranty for these!

The new bfg's are great. Been running bfg's for 10 years now and I've had only 2 flats. Close to 10000 miles a year off road on average. Only complaint was tire wear on the old ones. New ones have a harder compound it seems and wear seems to be slower. New ones are really good in snow. They aren't quit as sticky as the old ones but still good.

Hancook AT's. I ran 3 sets on a Ram 2500 Cummins. No set has gone under 90k, though I might have stretched them a little to do that. Still....best tire I've ever run...and I ran them hard.

Hancook AT's. I ran 3 sets on a Ram 2500 Cummins. No set has gone under 90k, though I might have stretched them a little to do that. Still....best tire I've ever run...and I ran them hard.