SwampMafia

Lake Bartlett help

I am new to fishing for flathead catfish and need a little help at Bartlett. I've gone out there 4 times now and hooked into just one small 7 pounder. One of my biggest problems is catching the bait!!!! I know I know, light line and corn on a small hook to catch the carp.... I can only catch the dang things in the summer!!! When the waters cold, I simply can't catch them!! I've been fishing rattlesnake cove at Bartlett. When the waters warm I have no problems catching bait!! How do you catch it when it's cold?!?! Also, I've been using a 3 way suspended bobber rig to catch the flatheads, Is this good? Any and every bit of anything anyone has to say will be helpful!! Getting pretty frustrating out there!! Won't mind any +1 tips for the bass either ;) thanks guys

I've done pretty good at Bartlet over the years.

I catch all my bait with a throw net. I start looking for bait around the south ramp. If I need more I throw my net again near sb cove ramp. Then I head up the flats. This time of year till fall the flat heads are trolling the shallows looking for bat fish. I fish with large slip bobbers any where from 10-20 feet below to surface. Or less if its shallow. Just enough to keep my bait off the bottom. I use the cat fish stalker bobbers http://www.premierplasticsinc.com/bobbers/stalkers/catfish.php the 5oz will keep a 1lb carp from pulling it under. The key is big alive bait. My biggest was a 32lbs flatheads . I caught him on a 1lb carp in 8ft of water about 3 ft under a 5oz catfish stalker bobber.

Aren't bluegills legal for bait? I know they used to be back when I was fishing for flatheads. They are much more durable than carp. Hook them near the tail about 1/4 up. You'll know when you are about to get bit because the gill will start trying to get away.

• Like 1

So what if the bait isn't visible, I think it's all pretty deep right now, can I still net them by sinking the net deep? Are you netting carp or bluegill?

We used to catch a bunch of bluegill down by the dam and then head up to the flats and yellow cliffs

So as far as areas, are the flats or Sb cove better than rattlesnake cove? I like the idea of having a truck by the water, but the lack of structure has me questioning if flatheads will be there

Fish on points. This will funnel the cruising fish near your baits. As the water warms, action should pick up. Cats seem to be inactive in cold water.

I can tell you that the Flats have pretty good action by the cliffs. It's towards the west end of the lake- as it funnels from Horseshoe.

Thanks for all the tips!! I picked up some water dogs and minnows for fear of not catching bait (I didn't) , and it payed off! I caught some channels, and a half pound flathead! It may not be the 30 pounder I want, but a small cold water flathead will fare well on the table! I was ecstatic to catch one! Hooked into some good bass as well!

post-12075-0-36041500-1456626621_thumb.jpgpost-12075-0-92750000-1456626649_thumb.jpg

Tried several times for Flats.. Tied up in a good spot by the buoys.. Guy 50 yards above me catches a 40+ and the guy on the shore below me catches a 32#er.. I caught zip.. Big fat bluegill under a bobber.. I am getting the urge to try again... There or Rosi...

I used to fish just below Bartlett, watched a couple guys pull in several really big flatheads, then one really, really giant one. Below the dam there is an eddy too far out to cast from shore. These guys had a bass boat out there and had to come up river, but right there on that crescent eddy of river rock, the cats were stacked in. Best of luck.