Sign in to follow this  
Tac

exercise to help strengthen muscles for drawing bow?

I get sore when i shoot my bow at 60 pounds I was wondering what exercises I could perform to get it better?

It seems that when I shoot i,m fine but the next day i,m real sore between shoulder blades.

After an injury my dad built his strength back up by using his old recurves ... He started doing daily reps with a 50 # pulling, holding , and controlled let off. After a couple weeks he bumped to 55# doing the same ... After a couple more weeks he was back on his 65 # compound and shooting daily. probably took him a couple months before he felt no strain and as good as he had before.

You can simulate pulling a bow with the weighted cable machine at the gym, or with the exercise rubber bands you can use at home. Work both arms or you will get lopsided....one lat bigger than the other.

• Like 2

Check out the Dry Fire Pro...great for strengthening and shooting form too.

www.dryfirearchery.com

Inventor is an AZ hunter and on here sometimes...

Pec fly's, tricep pull downs, skull crushers

WHAT??? Lol, literally not one of those exercises strengthen muscles used to draw a bow. Having strength in your triceps/chest on your brace arm side might be helpful, but the majority of the draw (horizontal abduction) is done with middle and posterior deltoid, infraspinatus, teres minor, latissimus dorsi, and a sprinkling of trapezius and rhomboids.

If you go to a gym:

Pullups/cable pulldowns, horizontal rows (single arm dumbell, AND two-arm cable/barbell) will give you the most bang for your buck. some REVERSE pec-fly ^^ or lateral dumbell raises as secondary exercises do not hurt.

No gym:

Pullups, horizontal rows (single arm bent over with something heavy in your hand), band work as stated above will be a good mobility tool, but will only help with strengthening up to a point.

• Like 2

My dad gave me a bicycle inner tube. 10speed bike size. We started with one cut in half along the perimeter. Then moved to a complete one. After that it was to 20" tube and now I shoot an 80lb longbow. Seemed it worked.

Pec fly's, tricep pull downs, skull crushers

WHAT??? Lol, literally not one of those exercises strengthen muscles used to draw a bow. Having strength in your triceps/chest on your brace arm side might be helpful, but the majority of the draw (horizontal abduction) is done with middle and posterior deltoid, infraspinatus, teres minor, latissimus dorsi, and a sprinkling of trapezius and rhomboids.

If you go to a gym:

Pullups/cable pulldowns, horizontal rows (single arm dumbell, AND two-arm cable/barbell) will give you the most bang for your buck. some REVERSE pec-fly ^^ or lateral dumbell raises as secondary exercises do not hurt.

No gym:

Pullups, horizontal rows (single arm bent over with something heavy in your hand), band work as stated above will be a good mobility tool, but will only help with strengthening up to a point.

You're probably right. All I know is years ago when I was in the same position I was told to do push-ups and it just stuck. But after reading what you posted makes sense.