jnobleinaz

Pretty impressed..

I just wanted to say that I have only been on this site for about a year and a half or so but I have been on MM since it 2001. This site has a group of people that are cordial and usually very respecting of what is written. Not too many arguments. It seems on MM every post has some moron write a stupid reply to get someone pissed off. I know some of you guys dont hunt muleys but all I am saying is that a site can be brought down quickly with idiots. I hardly ever get on MM anymore once a week maybe. Hopefully this site can keep up the good posts and pics and keep it real, nobody likes to read a post from a jacka%%. john

• Like 1

This site has a group of people that are cordial and usually very respecting of what is written. Not too many arguments.

Case and point - the Arizona and Nevada Auction ELK tags- those comments have gotten WAY out of hand...I think they call it EXTREME BASHING. :angry:

I also check that site out from time to time , but have NEVER joined. I don't think their pics are as real & genuine as CWT members and what they contribute... :ph34r:

just my .02

AzP&Y

John,

You are always a class act anywhere you go on any site. MM has gone down for years and i stay away from there completely.

This is a great site and most of the folks here are just like you--class act! Of course there are those that like to stir the pot anywhere you go and usually they don't last too long.

why don't you show these folks your pronghorn you shot with your muzzy.

I agree, I have been thinking of posting something like this for a while. This is the greatest site I have ever encountered, small and tight knit, everyone shows respect for others, its kinda like living in a small town versus those New York city clowns at MM. I just hope those contentious few at MM dont ever find us here.

Excellent thread, but the explanation is simple. Look where we are all from (Arizona) and the species we all love to hunt (Coues) !

This is for no one in particular but everyone as a whole. :rolleyes:

First, a bit of background:

Long before the web came into existence, in 1983 a friend who is another outdoor writer from Maryland and I started what was known as the Outdoors Forum on the Compuserve Information Service (CIS), which is now owned by AOL. Back then, everything was done in ASCII at an unbelievable modem speed of 12 baud per sec for downloading messages and replying offline. When it eventually jumped to 28, we all thought we had died and gone to heaven. :lol:

Anyway, we ran that forum for many years and eventually branched out to become 12 separate ones that included Hunting, Fishing, Cycling, Scouting, Birding, Environment, etc., etc. We became the largest operators on CIS and continued to run our "empire" until AOL purchased CIS and discontinued paying its business partners.

So where am I going with this??

During the course of administering these forums, we had several requirements.

1. Members had to use a REAL first and last name -- NO HANDLES. Obviously, they could pick any factitious name but most didn't.

2. Because they were family forums, language and material deemed not worthy of such were no-nos.

3. And most importantly, Personal attacks were greatly discouraged.

And #3 is the one that so often comes into play today in the age of the WWW where thousands upon thousands of anonymous users hide behind their online personas in the myriad chatrooms. Sooo...I thought I would offer a few tips I've garnered over the years in regards to this particular cancer.

First let me state: debate, controversy and discussion are HEALTHY exercises where everyone can learn from them -- if they are conducted in a civil manor.

The most important aspect of this is to debate the ISSUE and avoid discussing the PEOPLE.

How can you avoid such?

It's simple. Every time you write a message in reply to a controversial topic, reread it before you hit SUBMIT and look to see if you used someone's name or a form of the word 'you' in it. Normally, these will be the key tipoffs where someone turns the discussion from the issue into a personal one. And then the need to retaliate kicks in for the person being attacked. That's when the thread heads downhill at a rapid pace.

Example:

Personal attack:

You're an idiot Charlie, and you have no idea what you're talking about. The law doesn't read that way. Here's what it says...blah, blah.

Discussing the issue;

I don't think that's how the law reads. here's what I found...blah, blah blah.

In other words, one can easily disagree without being disagreeable.

Pretty simple, huh? ;)-TONY

I have to agree. This is the best hunting site I have found. Its nice to be able to start a topic and not have it ripped to shreads by a bunch of know it all's. I do check in with some of the other sites, but dont comment much because people seem to always have something smart a$$ to say in reply. It can even get down right ugly! :(

I couldn't agree more. I've met many of the users here face to face at the CW bbq Lance put on & a few others through buying, selling, & just plain socializing. This site is truly a rare collection of knowledge, experience, an willingness to help. Let's hope that any of the "key-board commandos" from other sites that do find thier way over here can appreciate what we've got going & try to assimilate & contribute rather than be argumentative just for the purpose of stirring the pot.

I TOO FEEL THE LOVE!!![ :rolleyes:

:ph34r:

Amen to all of the above.

Yep, gotta pretty decent group of people associated with this site. But let's give credit to Amanda for creating and controlling the site.

Thanks again, Amanda!!

Mike

It's amazing how different the crowd is on the other site. It seems like more times than not, I get upset when reading through some of the topics and the reply's people post over there. Thanks to everyone here for keeping this site informative and enjoyable and thanks again to Amanda for her time and talent involved in creating CWT.com. I think more importantly, it's the members and what they contribute that makes this site what it is! Thanks guys! JIM>

Asstated, this is probably the best site i visit, it is my homepage. There are some knuckle heads, and I will raise my hand to say that I some time get out of line but its mostly in good fun.

That MULEY site over there is ridicalous, heres an example... when i posted my lion pictures, I had MANY people over there razz me on the size of the lion. yes he was small, yes he was young. was he legal? you bet your butt! he is my most prized trophy and everyone knew that, yet people still tried to slam me. now, this site isnot perfect, as a member from here posted on it as a different name than he has herel, thinking i would now know who it was. When i posted it over here, it was pointed out that he was small, young lion and thats as far as it went. Over there i had one or two guys who it got to the point of where they wanted to try and exchange blows with me.

I know more than my share of members here personally and some of my huntin buddies on here are buddies i have met from here and i always have a blast with them!

Thank you Amanda for this site! I dont even WANT to know how much time i spend here!