Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

Results of Arizona Wildlife Outfitters 2016 Big Pig contest!

Here are the official results of the 2016 Arizona Wildlife Outfitters Big Pig contest.

I hold this contest each year primarily to gather good data on what the size are of the javelina populations in Unit 18B, but we also try and collect data from hunters who take pigs in other surrounding units.

This year we had 35 entries in the hunt and 21 of the hunters bagged a pig.

Our Big Pig winner was Joe Hererro who bagged a monster sow that weighed 44.68 lbs.

post-11017-0-81011300-1456645389_thumb.jpg

Our smallest weighed 19 lbs. 4 oz.

post-11017-0-08895600-1456645212_thumb.jpg

I want to thank all the hunters that entered this year.

The data I collect I use when I go to meetings with the Region 3 folks and we discuss javelina, which by the way, is Arizona's second most hunted big game animal.

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Here was the pig I took near the end of the general rifle hunt. This is an average adult pig for this unit, 36.61 lbs.

post-11017-0-56953400-1456645523_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Since this is primarily to keep track of the weights and sex of the animals in Region 3, it has restrictions (have to be weighed on camp scale) folks from other units haven't bothered to enter. The other thing I am tracking is the success for those who get TWO tags every year! So far, they seem to have a much higher success rate than those who get just one tag! Why do you think that is? These I think are great "talking points" when meeting with AZ G&F personnel.

Pigs are allowed from northwestern Arizona; Units 10, 18A, 15's, 16A, 18B and 19B. Remember I am collecting data from the javelina in these areas. We had entries this year in Units 19B, and 16A this year, but no one brought in a pig.

Pigs must be weighed on the scale at our camp! You wanna drive a long ways to weigh a pig? Then come on over. Obviously most who enter are hunting in Unit 18B cause that is where we camp...

Remember this isn't some "BIG CONTEST" where prizes are given. It started out just friends a clients, but it has gotten bigger over the years.

It would seem that those who were a top of the board this year just got lucky..they didn't really know they were shooting big pigs..At least that is what they told me.

As for the "yawners" come on over next year and get in. Costs just $10.. Then go out and bring us YOUR heavyweights! By the way wildwoody, I believe it is "whoopee" not whoopy..But I may be wrong.

Always those out there that like to criticize..lol.

Pigs are completely gutted when weighed. No heart, lungs, or entrails allowed.

I would put a guess out that the higher success for the two tag hunters is that they really, really like to pig hunt, and put more time and effort into their hunts. Who knows but that's just my guess. 19b was a fun unit to hunt pigs in until they locked a lot of it up. When I used to hunt 19b it seemed like the pigs were a little bigger on average than what I've seen in 18b. But who knows I never weighed them and that's just my thought from what I've seen from hunting 19b.

Don were do your guys set up your camp at there is a bunch of us here in bagdad interested for next year.