Sign in to follow this  
jcarter

Anyone removed saltillo tile?

We want to put laminate down. Terry I will give you a call once we get the keys thanks!

I had to remove all of the tile flooring in my house when I bought it. I was having stained concrete floors done so I did the removal and the company that did the concrete came in and used a big grinder to get rid of all of the mortar and smooth off the floor before they applied their thin set to stain. It wasn't too bad that way.

We want to put laminate down. Terry I will give you a call once we get the keys thanks!

No prob, and your welcome.

what are you planning on putting over the floor?

it may be possible to float out the saltillo. still a mess, but less foul language.

i was a flooring contractor for 14 years, and never tore out tile. i always hired a convict from the half way house, gave him a dust mask and a rotary hammer with a tile bit and paid him per square foot, (so he wouldn't milk out the job). we would also hang plastic to keep the dust contained.

I had a similar issue when I bought my house..I had to remove the existing tile.. Bottom line is that it's a pain in the butt.. The dust alone from the grout is awful. What I did was buy some chisels from Home Depot and I hired the day laborers outside of home depot... On top of that I even rented those floor scrapers from Home Depot and they worked but just be careful because they will scar up your concrete. My house was about 2,300 sq ft of tile to be removed and it still took the day laborers 2-3 days.. Be ready for a good wipe down from the dust.

• Like 1

Wait i had nickels then spent.. Oh well you know what i mean! Protect the walls and baseboards...

• Like 1

Wait i had nickels then spent.. Oh well you know what i mean! Protect the walls and baseboards...

He's not lying.. ALso protect your arms and hands.. Some of those Mexican guys from Home Depot were getting cut from the pieces of flying ceramic tile.but yeah definitely cover up the walls and cover every AC vent in your home too

He's not lying.. ALso protect your arms and hands.. Some of those Mexican guys from Home Depot were getting cut from the pieces of flying ceramic tile.but yeah definitely cover up the walls and cover every AC vent in your home too

Good advice. I received a pretty good cut from a piece of flying tile. I ended up putting down a drop cloth, and then smashing the tile underneath it. worked pretty well.

• Like 1

Pain in the tush! There was so much dust we had to drape off a room at a time and wear breathing masks. I would not want to do that job again. I used a Hilti demo chisle and wide blade.