Sign in to follow this  

I work in the valley, and today I heard the first male gamble quail doing the mating call. Hoping for a good hatch this year. Need a few more rains soon.

Been hearing them for a couple weeks now. Was hoping for this strong El Niño to give us some great winter rains and good green up......unfortunately, it's turned into the Great and over-hyped non-el Nino of 2016.

Always good to hear tho. Hoping for a decent hatch and success.

• Like 1

Pray for at least one more new batch of rain this spring (at LEAST)! Not too big as to wash away eggs n chicks, but enough to get the desert green through the Spring so we have a chance at a double hatch! ;)

S.

:)

• Like 2

Pray for at least one more new batch of rain this spring (at LEAST)! Not too big as to wash away eggs n chicks, but enough to get the desert green through the Spring so we have a chance at a double hatch! ;)

S.

:)

Let's hope!

Feburary 2016 was the driest on record. It was also the warmest on record! Crazy. Especially during a strong El Niño. Let's hope for a wet March! :)

• Like 1

Heard some males calling yesterday too. We are supposed to get rain next week. Let's hope it happens.

Yesterday in my daily driving and at work I saw probably 30 birds. I was thinking they where teasing me but i guess they could be getting ready to mate

They've been highly active around my house too. Been having to chase them out of my truck so they don't nest in there.

Man, I would give up my secret to bein' so good lookin' and smart for 4 or 5 decent rains his spring. I haven't even hunted quail for about 10 years because of the lack of birds, trying to save some for when it does rain. The desert is kinda green right now. See quite a few poppies in some places. Might be a great year for cactus flowers. Especially chollas, claret cups and hedgehogs. But I don't think its enough to support a good quail hatch yet. Dang, I like hunt quail. And then have quail, biscuits and gravy. Lark.

• Like 2

Darn it, Lark. I could eat my weight in quail, but I've never thought about combining them with my favorite breakfast! White gravy and biscuits, and breast of fried quail.Yummy! Wish I were ten years younger and still could do the walking needed to collect enough of them for a meal.

Bill Quimby

Saw the first quail hatchlings of the year yesterday. Seems really early. Maybe they'll have an extra hatch this year.

Saw the first quail hatchlings of the year yesterday. Seems really early. Maybe they'll have an extra hatch this year.

That's great! Now if we can get a couple of heavy spring rains to fill up tanks and add feed to the hills, could be a banner year for these tasty little birds.

We need more ran ASAP or else the hatch is not going to make it. I am really praying for good monsoon for another good mearns hunting season.