Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Elk hammer

Damnit, I'm gonna have to get a .50 BMG.

I might have a needle richard, but I've got a sewing machine for an a$$. :o

• Like 1

This past season I saw a really big bull get dropped in his tracks like he'd been head shot at almost 700 yards with a lapua. Only it was all lungs and organs. No spine. Killed him like a brain shot. Hit the ground, rolled over and crushed a dead piñon. That's why I said if I was gonna get a new elk gun it'd be a Lapua. Seen a couple hundred Bulls killed over the years with any kinda cartridge there is. That was the most impressive thing I've ever seen. Whine all ya want about too big. When you're elk hunting, putting them down right there is real important. The lapua does that. Guy axed what kinda rifle to get. In my opinion, get a .338 lapua. I don't give a $h!t what the bc is and neither did the elk. He just knew he was all the sudden in Valhalla. One more time, and I have some experience with elk, if I was gonna get a new elk rifle, it'd be a lapua. Probly a savage. That or I'd call western precision and have Brent make me one. Piss on bc and any other number you can write on paper. The lapua works. It doesn't weigh a ton. It doesn't use 100 grains of powder. They make all kinds a good bullets for it. It's real powerful stuff for elk. Lark

88-105 grains dependent on powder type and bullet weights from 160 to 300gr......but who's counting.....

I guess some will have to get a magniying glass to check their B** C***. This thread is ridiculousness.

Oh yeah. Same hunt, same rifle. Woman had wounded a spike with one of the myriad of 6.5's that are out there. (And I'm a real fan of the .264 mag, so I'm not caliber biased) Seems like it was a 6.5-284 or 260 rem, all set up for long range. Don't know the bc, but it was a female, so it don't count. Anyway, she hit it and it laid down. Kept shooting. Strong crosswind. Couldn't even tell where the bullets were hitting. About Outta ammo. They called us and we were close. Packed the rifle to her. Shot once. Dead elk. Seems like it was around 400 yards. Maybe it was a fluke? Probly was because all the pro's say they're no good. But it impressed me. But what do I know. The guy that started this wanted to know about a 300 win mag or 300 rum. 2 cartridges I happen to have a lotta experience with. My .300 win, Farkiller, is legendary and has taken several dozen elk. I really like the rum too. Killed a bull at almost 800 with my son's Christensen. Also shot a muley the same year at almost 700, but it was running. Excellent long range round in a good rifle. But if I was buying a new elk rifle, after what I witnessed with just 2 shots this past season, it'd be a lapua. Lark

I have only briefly browsed through this thread so I apologize in advance if I'm repeating anybody.

1st, I think with the right bullet, the 300WM is a long range hammer. Even for bigger game like mature bull elk.

2nd, what kind of bullet should be determined by your max range. If you're wishing to keep it close to reasonably close, a 200 partition or 200 ACCUBOND are tough to beat. If you want to reach further, then I think a heavier, higher BC offering is a better option. If you really want to run way out there then you're going to need to go even heavier and more streamlined.

I am not typically a Berger fan. With that in mind, I've also come to appreciate the 300WM / 215 Hybrid combo. It is a superb combination. Yes they come unglued but there is more than enough mass and materials present to see it through.

I've also had good success with the 210ablr. The bc is less than advertised but still quite adequate. They're a bit more frail than I thought they'd be but hold up fair.

I haven't played with the 212 ELDX yet. In theory, they would be a solid compliment to the 300WM. Probably not as explosive as the 215 hybrid and has a lower BC but comparable.

M

I agree with 308Nut. A 300WM and that 215 Berger Hybrid is a lethal combination at extended ranges and I know that from experience. I would say it's not the greatest at closer ranges but for me, it's managed to do the job on everything so far from 75 yards all the way out to 855 yards. There is a bunch of great bullets available, just have to make sure it shoots good out of your rig.

Everyone talking about there wing wongs I thought I hit a differnt forum and was going to have a rainbow sticker sent to me or something ( O yea I am hung like a light switch so there )