Sign in to follow this  
RackTracker

OTC Archery Mule Deer in Utah

Been researching the idea of a backpacking archery mule deer hunt in Unit 14a in Utah. The nearest town is Monticello. Has anyone hunted this area recently. Looking for some information on areas to start looking to hike and hunt. Also checking on availability of water sources for filtering and likely weather conditions to expect. We would like to hike in and get away from people. Any information is appreciated. PM's are welcome. Thank you.

We may have received some bad information. I was looking for for an out of state OTC archery deer tag and was told to check out this unit in Utah. Thanks for the info. I will contact Utah GFD to verify.

I lived in this unit 9 years. There are more deer in this area than nearly anywhere ive ever seen. They've built deer crossings along the Hiway with motion activated signs to let motorists know when the deer are crossing. Monticello itself is brimming with deer and the town folk are sick of them, even considering sharpshooters at night to cull the herds.

Abajo Rangepost-11051-0-96545400-1457304837.jpg

Thank you for the info. We just bought a preference point for next year in Utah.

We still have time to apply for Colorado this year........guess we making hiking up high !

If you go to CO go thru Monticello on the way. I lived on a little farm east of town. Was common to see 150 deer each day. I returned from town one fall afternoon around 2008, to see 69 bucks and a spike elk in my front pasture. Yeah there's deer there and the farmers and town folk are having a tough time dealing with them. We called them Swift forest rats.

If you hunt there, pick up a lion tag too and the reservoir above town is great for trout, Recapture between Blanding and Monticello holds great pike and bass.

I used to drive through Monticello about 6 times a week and as edge said mulies every where. About every 300 yards there was roadkill mulies on the side of the road in late summer, and almost every field had deer in them.

This is my second year buying preference points in Utah. I've been doing a lot of research on Deer hunting in Utah. It appears you can draw a decent general unit with 1-3 points. Yes, you will see hunters and a lot of smaller Bucks, but you also have a chance at a reasonable sized Buck(130-150). It sounds like you will see a lot of Deer during most general hunts. I'm looking forward to finding out.

• Like 1

This is my second year buying preference points in Utah. I've been doing a lot of research on Deer hunting in Utah. It appears you can draw a decent general unit with 1-3 points. Yes, you will see hunters and a lot of smaller Bucks, but you also have a chance at a reasonable sized Buck(130-150). It sounds like you will see a lot of Deer during most general hunts. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Just a lot of bucks, period. I have never seen so many nontypicals. locals think its due to the crazy amount of feed and minerals. and don't forget the SCI #1 rifle muley came out of this unit.

That was my neighbor, Max. Killed this monster 1800' from my house

post-11051-0-44929600-1457658772_thumb.jpg

Is Utah still open to apply for? Anybody have recommendations on units to apply for trophy mule deer and elk. Both archery and rifle. I have heard of all the famous deer units. But not much on elk. I hear Utah offers a point system so I would like to start applying and building points for a trophy hunt some day. I am a Non resident