Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

San Carlos in THREE weeks!

Well going up on my early San Carlos spring turkey hunt in about three weeks.

Got a number of friends going up too so we'll probably camp together.

Gonna get a fishing permit this year and eat some fresh trout while I'm there. You know you get tired of steak and pork chops, LOL!

This will be the first time I've hunted the early hunt, so not quite sure how it will be. We have all done well on the late season, and we just wanted to see how it is on that early season.

My friend Eric and I both got birds on the late hunt in 2015, but we really had to work for them. Matter-of-fact, we have never spent so much time as we did last year to fill our tags...

post-11017-0-40008400-1457939113_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-02724800-1457939309_thumb.jpg

But we learned a lot of new country and areas where we never would have thought there were turkeys at, so maybe this year will be better.

Got our Avian X decoys, lots of assorted diaphragm calls, and box calls, so looking forward to the hunt with my friends!

• Like 6

good luck. I have never hunted the early season either looking forward to hearing how your hunt went.

Good luck, I may do that hunt next year but I will be going to Sonora this year since I didn't draw an AZ Spring tag.

Hey Don,

I might see you up there on that early hunt. I am fortunate to have a tag this year and I had the early hunt last year. I felt it was too early for the birds last year as they were only talking on the roost and the first few minutes once they hit the ground. Went home empty handed but I learned a lot and even a few new places to go. If you see a 2011 gold Dodge 1500 crew license says HNT4LIF, stop and tell me where all the birds are. Good Luck!

Knothead.

I think we are all gonna camp at Point of Pines Lake and spread out from there.

I will have my beat up beige 2006 Ford Super Duty, and will be staying I think in a converted cargo type trailer.

Stop by and say HI.

I am thinking with this being an early, warm spring, we should be right on the money!

After San Carlos is over, gonna head to Oklahoma and hunt with my boys and grandson(s). That ought to be fun too!

I didn't buy a tag for San Carlos next year, decided to go to Florida and get an Osceola and finish up my slam!

Would like to go hunt the Hualapai Reservation, but they are really proud of their tags..$450... But they are less than 75 miles from the house.

Course with costs of fuel and such, in the end, might be about the same..

Didn't draw in AZ for Gould's, or Nevada for Rio's but this San Carlos hunt ought to be a good one.

post-11017-0-07153700-1458075857_thumb.jpg

My 2015 Nevada bird!

post-11017-0-81605400-1458075916_thumb.jpg

My 2015 Goulds

My buddy Eric is a "hard core" turkey hunter and I'll stay up there till we are BOTH done, no matter how long it takes.

Oh well..Gobble-gobble!

• Like 2

Well now its just about a week away, got my ammo in, my targets in, Lead Sled DFT ready to go to the range.

Can't wait to hear that first gobble-gobble!

Don Martin

Well some good news and bad news.

Good news getting all packed up for the trip.

post-11017-0-79296700-1459191024_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-22574800-1459191051_thumb.jpg

Bad news is that some thief took my new Caldwell Lead Sled DFT out of the bed of my truck as Page and I were having lunch at Chilis!

Did some ammo check and used Winchester Long Range in my Remington 1100 Magnum 12 ga. with a Hastings barrel at the range.

At 40 yards, wasn't impressed. Could be the gun/choke combination though.

Tried Hevi-Shot blend, better results, but still not real happy.

Then I tried the 10 Ga. Hevi-Shot blend and other than jerking the trigger (trigger is hard on that gun-bet it is 10 lbs) pattern was great! Dead turkey at 40 yards for sure. I have a Remington SP-10.

post-11017-0-98914500-1459191271_thumb.jpg

Can't wait, bet birds are gobbling...

Best of luck to you out there! That's a shame that you can't even go in to have some lunch without something getting snatched. My head is always on a swivel, just too hard to trust anybody walking around.

Yea, really aggravating. Not too many up here have that model of Lead Sled. I've given the range masters at our local range a picture of it. If someone shows up to use, I'll hear about it..Nice thing about a small community...

• Like 2

Yea, really aggravating. Not too many up here have that model of Lead Sled. I've given the range masters at our local range a picture of it. If someone shows up to use, I'll hear about it..Nice thing about a small community...

I hope you get it back! I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics of a nice bird here soon! Best of luck, be safe out there!