Sign in to follow this  
3rd gen native

Okay, The dog has talked me into it

Was having an evening cocktail with a couple buds I frequently hunt with and the subject came up dove hunting down in Hidalgo/Los mochis. We hadn't been down in the last couple years so started laying plans for a weekend trip. As the discussion unsued, Jaeger my senior G.S.P. heard the words bird hunting one to many time and started doing the tail chasing lets go boss dance. Dog understands a little to much. The guys were rolling the dog was barking I couldn't get a word edgewise.Finally got everyone quieted down to make some calls, Contacted exec. terminal placed order for fuel, everyone has a passport,Made reservations at lodge, Thousands of birds hitting several maize fields was Angel's reply (head of the lodge and district game warden) Will file a flight plan next thurs. Lift off at0330 my F33A bonanza will have the four of us and this crazy dog back on the ground in under three hours ready for a morning hunt. Blood pressure is spiking just getting ready for this!! nothing like mid between season tuneup just for the dog of course. pics will follow.

• Like 6

Can't wait to see the pics. If you can bring any Dove meat back I would love some;)

My dogs know key words and sight commands too. And the new pups take the cues from the older boys, and have learned them too.

Walk to the gun cabinet? Dogs go nuts.

Get any gun out, or gun case? Dogs go raped ape crazy.

"Bird", "dove", "hunt", "find"? Dogs go into search mode.

"Feed" or "hungry"? Dogs go nuts and immediately head out the doggie door and one keeps vigilant watch with his head stuck inside.

Wear camo? Dogs start to vibrate.

If I look up? Dogs go into aerial search mode.

Grab keys and go into the back yard? Dogs know I am heading to the arena and go nuts.

Head to my truck and leave the carport door open? Dog all stand inside the door and vibrate.

Put a sheet on my back seat? Dogs go nuts at the door.

• Like 3

It would appear that Lances dogs and mine were schooled at the same academy, With five Short hairs under my roof it's sometimes a real chore to keep the peace with all of them. They can't all go hunting on the same trip and invariably I get the cold shoulder and sad eyes upon leaving with just a couple. Upon return all is forgiven if they get to "smell out the trip" with the promise that they will get next trip out.

Lances explanation definition is the best I've seen yet, Matches my crew to a tee.

• Like 1

It would appear that Lances dogs and mine were schooled at the same academy, With five Short hairs under my roof it's sometimes a real chore to keep the peace with all of them. They can't all go hunting on the same trip and invariably I get the cold shoulder and sad eyes upon leaving with just a couple. Upon return all is forgiven if they get to "smell out the trip" with the promise that they will get next trip out.

Lances explanation definition is the best I've seen yet, Matches my crew to a tee.

Ha! I have 2 GSPs, and 2 GSP/Walker Coonhound mixes.

Can't wait to see the pics. If you can bring any Dove meat back I would love some;)

That would be interesting to know if you can bring it back. I recently found out that I can't bring any turkey meat back from my Goulds hunt next month unless it is cooked and has a wing attached.

That would be interesting to know if you can bring it back. I recently found out that I can't bring any turkey meat back from my Goulds hunt next month unless it is cooked and has a wing attached.

So are you going o roast it with the wing sticking out of the oven???

Won't be bringing any of it back, unfortunately. Definitely pays to look into this sort of stuff before actually booking it but live and learn.