AR15RDY

22-250 or .243 for yotes and mulies

I've done some research on this subject and it everything is pointing at the .243 as a better round for coyotes and mule deer but I thought I would ask the local forum. I've been looking at the Tikka 22-250 and .243 for the light weight and rumored accuracy they are known for. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated...Rifle will be mainly used for coyotes and deer

I was trying to stay with a light weight rifle like the Tikka and they only offer a few calibers

dont know much about tikka , but it looks like they offer up a .270 wsm. It will cover elk too. Good luck.

If you want both varmit and med size game it has to be 243. You can go from 55 grn to 95 grn in 243. Not sure the 22-250'has the bullet size range

I can't remember if it was Pine Donkey or Alpine Bullwinkle had a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts for sale. Good buy in a better caliber than either of the others for an all purpose rifle. Especially for the hand loader.

• Like 2

I can't remember if it was Pine Donkey or Alpine Bullwinkle had a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts for sale. Good buy in a better caliber than either of the others for an all purpose rifle. Especially for the hand loader.

It is posted for sale by Big Lake Jake, check it out.

• Like 1

Of those two choices, .243 hands down. .22-250 is notorious for having a 1 in 14" or 1 in 12" twist, meaning only shooting 55 to 60 grain bullets, which are great for coyotes, but not enough for deer unless you are going to head shoot them.

.25-06, 6.5x55, .270, .30-06, 7RM, .300WM would all be better choices for deer, and will put a coyote down with authority.

243 of the 2 choices given.

257 Roberts and 6.5x55 are both old calibers that are often overlooked but are great choices for a light kick caliber that will still get the job done.

I've been leaning more towards the 25-06 for its versatility. Just trying to narrow down manufacturers for the best choice tikka,weatherby vanguard s2, browning x bolt. Trying to keep the weight down and stay with a minimum 24" barrel

.243 for sure For all the reasons already mentioned. Huge selection of bullets and weights. However i do have a buddy who I have seen drop multiple mule deer in their tracks with a 22-250. He just knows where to put it. Ha.

The .243 is hands down the better multi-purpose cartridge listed but there are others out there as well. The .260 Rem or 6.5 Creed would also be great choices and allow for a bit more power and range on the top end of the spectrum with 85-90gr bullet options for the yotes at blistering speeds. The .257 Roberts mentioned above would be an outstanding rig as well.