Sign in to follow this  
rschaumb

Head Shots vs Lung/Heart

While we wait for the elk results to happen, I figured I'd ask this question that I've never really thought about much before. I recently got a co-worker into hunting birds and small game. In talking about how much better .22's are for rabbits/squirrels etc because you can head shot them and not waste any meat compared to a shotgun, he asked why I don't shoot deer/elk in the head for the same reason? I didn't really have a good answer other than the head is a smaller target area and I've just grown up aiming for the lungs first and heart second (don't want to waste the tasty heart if you don't have to). I've never really thought about it much and wanted to know what other people's opinions are. The only other time I've heard about it was from an old friend who said they only took head shots back in the Pennsylvania area. Thanks for you input.

I hear horror stories about clipping the head, and the jaw breaks. They run off- only never to be found and probably starve to death because they can't chew.

I'll stick with the double lung. It's quick. Much bigger target as well.

Shoot for the biggest part. Made a few head shots on big game. Usually accidently. It's real deadly but a lot harder shot to make. Lung shot is a sure thing. Unless you use a copper bullet. Gets kinda iffy then. Small game with a .22, shoot for the head.

I've taken one head shot on a deer that was 80 yards out. Had a good rest and he was broad side so I figured why not? Shot, he dropped like a rock! Walked up to him and found I blew off his jaw and he was positioned in such a way that he was choking on his tongue and blood. Ended up slitting it's throat quickly to put him out of the misery that I caused. I felt bad about it and won't do it again. Rabbits are a different story, they die instantly from my experience with any type of head shot.

• Like 1

The brain is the size of a heart and the skull is rounded. Which leads to a lot of deflections unlike shooting a thin skulled animal with a .22. In other words its easier and safer bet to shoot for the boiler room.

I grew up in PA. along time ago and My DAD always took kneck sots with a 222 for deer. I have taken 5-6 bedded animals out here with kneck shots. Why wait for them to get up. They might get up and run. If You have time that shot is ok...............BOB!

I have taken a lot of deer (hundreds) with high neck shots--mostly while engaged in scientific collecting. It makes the necropsy less messy and facilitates the collection of clean blood and tissue samples. If the carcasses are to be donated, they are cleaner and neater when dressed out, as well.

As mentioned above, head shots have a much higher risk of seriously wounding an animal without putting it down immediately. High neck shots will almost always put an animal down, even if the spine is not hit. The shock to the central nervous system is sufficient to stun an animal and put it on the ground, and a coup de gras can be administered, if need be. When I am hunting for meat, I still take high neck shots if they are offered--but only at distances where I know that I can accurately place the shot where it needs to go. YMMV.

I have seen a couple accidental head shots go wrong. One involved an antelope in colorado that was shot right in the front teeth facing head on. It was a mile or so later when he was finally put down. His bottom jaw was blown up so badly that it was slapping his front legs as he ran. Really sad deal. Would have been really upsetting if he got away.

There are enough horror stories of bad shots aiming for the vitals. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Our family in Montana considers whitetail doe to be small game and killed for strictly meat. They get shot in the head

• Like 1

Over the last 5 years I have come to the conclusion that the High shoulder shot = Quickest kill

Small game is fine. Big game, your question will be answered after you see some tragedies and have horror stories to tell about what you have seen. Its 50/50. I think sticking to the basics is the best practice. Just my 2 cents, game management also depends on us. I am pretty sure hunters kill more than one deer in a hunt due to not recovering an animal. I might get a ration for this, but just an opinion. I will never take a bedded shot cause the vitals aren't in the same position as standing, Yardage is also a major factor in all of this.

When I first started hunting I read a book about butchering livestock and game. I was under the impression heart n lung shots also helped with removing blood from the rest of the body because it has a place to collect in if you damage the arteries.