Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Glassing with a legend - DuWane Adams Glassing Class

So after posting a thread on guide schools about whether they are worth it or not a few people mentioned Duwane's apprentice program. Then after doing other research on optics I came across his name on other websites and how he was well known for being the guy that was known for using 15's off a tripod to glass for trophy deer. Then again on this site his name had been mentioned pertaining to glassing and the lessons he gives. I recently upgraded to 15's off a tripod and the whole set up was new to me so I wanted to speed up the learning curve and gave him a call.

Immediately on the phone I got a feeling that he was the kind of dude that loves to help people and he called me "son" a lot during the conversation (gave me warm fuzzies, hadn't had a lot of compliments as a kid I guess). We set up an appt. for the next weekend since I wanted to try and get out before the deer all lost their antlers.

He came and picked me up from the motel in San Manuel and off we went to the backside of the catalinas. We talked about our accomplishments as hunters and he gave more "good for you son's" (more warm fuzzies), of course mine were a few hundred short of his. I could already tell it was gonna be a great morning.

Once we got to the top of the ridge he started to explain things like where the deer will be and where they're going as well as why. He talked about food sources and when they are available. He stopped here and there to show me some of the food sources and what made them unique. He also gave a few tips on how to set up my own little honey hole. After glassing up a bunch of deer and getting pats on the back and some "good job sons" (more warm fuzzies) we headed back and he pointed this and that out on the way things to look for and whatnot.

It was a great morning, and I'm looking forward to doing some volunteer work for him and in a couple years I hope to guide for him. I can tell you he is a great dude and I hope for him to be my mentor as a hunter. This is getting a little personal maybe but I could even see him as somewhat of a father figure. I would encourage anyone thinking about guide schools or anyone that just wants to be a better glasser to give him a call. He is a great dude.

• Like 14

Nice to see the great comments and review of his lessons. I had a very similar impression of Duwane in my one phone call about his guide services and have always thought about his glassing lessons as something to put on my Christmas list one of these years...

I did this glassing class with him last year. I learned a ton and it really helped me feel more comfortable behind my binos. Duwane is a class act and my buddy that went with me still keeps in touch with him.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great guy. I've heard nothing but positive things about his glassing class.

• Like 2

Duwane is a great guy. He definitely knows the ins and outs

• Like 1

Cost of glassing class?

Learning to glass from DuWane Adams....PRICELESS!!!!!!!

• Like 2

$300 but if you consider the cost of gear and going home empty handed (especially on a far away hunt) it's well worth the investment. I have myself, my wife and 2 kids of hunting age that I need to help fill tags for. Not to mention three more coming up behind them.

Btw I wanted to mention this in the original thread and forgot. Before getting the 15's I had a pair of Leupold switch power 10-17's. I was able to glass up deer before with these but it was always free hand. I'm pretty decent at picking up the deer when they are visible but was amazed the difference when using the tripod and the 15's together.

The first night out after the glassing lesson I came home to SV and took the wife and kids out to the Huachucas. My confidence level already skyrocketed and I knew I'd find some deer. I knew right where to go based on what DuWane had told me. We were out for about an hour. Me and my wife started glassing and she picked up the first deer and the first buck (I was seriously impressed and high fived her). Till it was all said and done we found 17 deer in less than an hour and two were bucks. Not trophy quality but good enough for the kids tags (I kinda want to set the bar low with the kids first deer so they don't get bored with it). The next morning I went back out by myself and found about 30 deer, 3 pigs and a skunk. 5 deer were bucks. Needless to say with the class and the 15's in my arsenal I am stoked for the upcoming season.

• Like 7

"Let me tell you something son." I can't tell you how many times I have heard that sentence. I took his class several years ago and was able to even hang out and look through a few of his photo albums of several of the great bucks they have taken over the years. Great guy with more knowledge than I could imagine. We always stop in and say hi when we are up in the Kaibab during the hunts at their camp.

• Like 3

I took this class as well, and I second what everyone else here is saying. Duwane is an awesome dude!

$300 but if you consider the cost of gear and going home empty handed (especially on a far away hunt) it's well worth the investment. I have myself, my wife and 2 kids of hunting age that I need to help fill tags for. Not to mention three more coming up behind them.

Btw I wanted to mention this in the original thread and forgot. Before getting the 15's I had a pair of Leupold switch power 10-17's. I was able to glass up deer before with these but it was always free hand. I'm pretty decent at picking up the deer when they are visible but was amazed the difference when using the tripod and the 15's together.

The first night out after the glassing lesson I came home to SV and took the wife and kids out to the Huachucas. My confidence level already skyrocketed and I knew I'd find some deer. I knew right where to go based on what DuWane had told me. We were out for about an hour. Me and my wife started glassing and she picked up the first deer and the first buck (I was seriously impressed and high fived her). Till it was all said and done we found 17 deer in less than an hour and two were bucks. Not trophy quality but good enough for the kids tags (I kinda want to set the bar low with the kids first deer so they don't get bored with it). The next morning I went back out by myself and found about 30 deer, 3 pigs and a skunk. 5 deer were bucks. Needless to say with the class and the 15's in my arsenal I am stoked for the upcoming season.

That seems like a very reasonable price to learn a great skill that will only pay for itself in hunts. I always thought these glassing classes were a lot more. Looks like I might have to consider taking one of his classes!

What 15s are you using if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

I just bought the pair of kaibabs that were listed in the forums here. They seem just fine, actually the leupy 10/17's are ok too but start to suck in low light at 17 power. If I was the type of dude that could afford the Swaro's I'd get them but honestly i'm sure I could get by with $500 glass just fine.

• Like 1

Nice! Kaibabs are good glass for sure, especially if you got them for $500!!! That's a steal for kaibabs! Thx for the info!

No I got them for around $800. I'm just saying that people don't NEED to drop crazy cash to be able to find deer.

• Like 1