Sign in to follow this  
Bill V

Desert sheep taxidermy habitat

I would like to add some interesting habitat items to my desert ram shoulder mount. I am thinking of rocks and possibly cactus of some sort. I have seen some of the cholla but most don't look quite right. Mckenzie has a barrel cactus that might work with a rock scape. I am looking for ideas from the experts and those with more experience than I have. Also, other sources for the taxi habitat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill V

Ocotillo. Dead or alive it pretty much looks the same unless it got its leaves on

• Like 2

I've always wanted to e put live hedgehog type cactus in a display. The locations that they would be planted in would be sealed so roots and water can't get out. Water occasionally with ice cubes so it leaches slow. Kinda cool to see it bloom depending on time of year.

208muley,

Now you have me thinking. I was assuming artificial habitat, but you may be on to something. The ocotillo branches would provide some vertical interest. I am now thinking about real cholla but not sure they can be preserved. Definitely want a base of artificial rock with some sort of cacti.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bill V

Thanks to all who replied and the excellent suggestions. Still looking for a life like cholla. Also, Becker, beautiful ram mount!

Bill V

awesome rock work Becker..im of the opinion that less is more...and that sheep would look awesome with just the rock work( and pedestal )....If I ever get one thats how id get it done

Bill V. I have not seen a commercially made cholla that looks even remotely worth a darn. The only

Good ones are molded from the actual plant which obviously is a time consuming poky job. Basically pull all the spines off and cast the fleshy portions. I would think you could get away with only doing a few different sized ones and still be able to make a substantial plant. If your interested in attempting something like that shoot me a PM and we can discuss further.

We have used for large scale architectural projects a company called

nature makers out of ca for trees and palms ( they are the Best )...Not sure if they do small cacti might be worth looking into...or know of somebody