couesfreak23

whats needed to start fishing

hi guys looking for some help on what I need to start fishing, really just want to spend outdoors. So don't really plan on eating the fish at this time, just catch and release. I plan and just fishing of the shore. Mostly just kennedy lake down here in Tucson. Looking to not spend whole lot of money on gear. What kind of gear do you guys recommend, I was looking at cabelas and the had nice combo bait reel/rod combo for 50. Any information would help guys don't know anything about fishing. Thanks in advance

Go to azbasszone and theres a guy selling bucnch of stuff as a lot. Would be perfect starter kit if ur gonna be bass fishin

• Like 1

Bait casters will take some practice to be able to make casts without having the line birdnest on the reel and will also be tougher to cast into the wind just for that reason.

You might want to look into a spinning reel. Something with a rod in Medium/Heavy (MH) about 6 1/2 to 7' long and 8-15 pound test line. Lots of times you can find a decent combo at Sportsmans but they usually come with cheap line that doesn't cast well and retains memory. They can also respool the reel for you right there with some better line.

• Like 2

Depends on what you want to fish for. Also depends on when you have time to fish or want to fish (day, night, mornings etc) I love fishing for flatheads and go to patogonia a lot. I enjoy teaching anything I know to those who would like to learn so you can tag along anytime I go and I'll show you what I know. I usually will go friday or Saturday nights. If your into bass I can't help you a whole lot. Check out the Avenger reels by okuma. They have a switch that allows a big fish to run off with your bait ( almost like a secondary drag) then you just pick it up and start reeling in NOT JERKING IT OUT OF ITS MOUTH. Circle hooks and live bait will help you catch the BIG ones.

• Like 1

For lakeside all you need is a chair and a good imagination. I don't know if you need a license to dream of catching a fish.

• Like 1

Spinning rod & reel, 10 pound test line, size 10 treble hook and some bread. You will have a great chance to catch anything in the pond.

• Like 1

Lots of great responses - I started out with a 5 1/2 foot ultralight, Mitchell reel, spinners (Mepps, Rooster Tails) and a lot of live bait. Hooks, sinkers and bobbers were cheap back then so I drowned whatever I could dig up under a rock.

• Like 2

Good point oneshot, I forgot to mention that from humble, basic beginnings it turned into build your own fly rod, tie your own flies, match the hatch. Once you are hooked, it's for life. It all starts with a cane pole and can of worms at a farm pond, or wherever and from there - wherever it leads you.

• Like 1

Medium action Berkeley cherrywood hd rod.... Abu Garcia Cardinal s spinning reel... Best rod and reel for the price hands down. I own 4. The rod is tough as balls, and the reel has an instant anti reverse with a solid drag system. 50-60$ for the rod and reel. Throw on some 10-12 pound flourocarbon and you can catch almost any fish in the state of AZ... Aside from flatheads ;)

• Like 1

Some good advice here.

Two more things; check on what licence you need for a municipal lake. And if you are planning on catch and release, take your pliers and crush the barb on the hook. It'll be tougher keeping the fish on, but the fish will have a much greater chance of surviving.

• Like 2