cwnova

Live in Tucson, First Bow - PSE or Bull Basin?

I recently got my tax return and i'm looking to put some of it toward my first bow. I have never shot a bow, nor do I think I've even held one. I'm not entirely familiar with the many components of a bow and arrow set up, so I'm leaning towards getting a ready-to-shoot or ready-to-hunt bow. I'd like to get everything I need so I can take it home and start shooting right away and would like to spend around $600 although i'm sure a smooth talker could get me to part with a little more money.

I was set on PSE primarily since it's a local company and manufacturer. Any reason to go to Bull Basin in Tucson over the PSE shop? I'm assuming prices are pretty identical between both shops?

Anything I should know that bow shop employees won't tell me?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I can't speak to the PSE shop and Bull Basin wasn't there when I lived in Tucson, but I frequent the Bull Basin store here in Flagstaff. I know they are committed to the same high standards in their Tucson store that they are in their Flagstaff store. The guys up here are the only ones who touch my bow. Guys in the shop up here are constantly running back and forth between the two places when needed. I "know" one guy who works in the Tucson BBA store, assuming he's still there. He helped me get started in archery when he worked in a different shop and I'm pretty sure he was my neighbor when we lived in an apartment complex. You won't go wrong shopping at BBA down there. Based on interactions with BBA up here, how they run their shop down there, and interactions with other bow shops in Arizona, I seriously doubt there's anything the guys at BBA won't tell you.

• Like 1

Oh man, Bull Basin is awesome. They have done 2 strings for me, neither of which required any adjustment to my pins. Great guys, and excellent service. PSE is OK, but Bull Basin is worth every penny, even if it's a little more. If you get a screaming deal at PSE, take it over to Bull Basin for a tune. That would be my recommendation.

• Like 2

Oh man, Bull Basin is awesome. They have done 2 strings for me, neither of which required any adjustment to my pins. Great guys, and excellent service. PSE is OK, but Bull Basin is worth every penny, even if it's a little more. If you get a screaming deal at PSE, take it over to Bull Basin for a tune. That would be my recommendation.

Am I more likely to get a deal at PSE? So far based on the two replies it looks like Bull Basin will be my first visit.

Shoot a bunch of bows that are not PSE as well please.

Do not get a brace height under 7 inches either.

that simple.

Bull Basin. Good guys at the shop for sure!

Yeah Bull Basin has a much better selection so you can shoot several and see what you like best. Great guys too. There's also Robinson's but not quite the selection that Bull Basin has.

$600 could also get you a nice flagship bow thats a couple years old, rather than buy a RTS package.

Friend, don't be too quick to buy one of the "Flagship" bows i.e. Hoyt, Matthews, PSE or Bowtech (though I am a fan of Bowtech). There are some ma and pa companies that are building great bows, and hoping to stay competitive through good customer service and excellent warranties, though you might have to accept buying a bow without shooting it first. Some examples are Athens, Obsession, Elite, Parker, Martin. Also, for a first bow, Matthews makes the MIssion product line, and Bowtech the Diamond. I believe they are both good, just fewer bells and whistles than the fully equipped bows. Both BBA or PSE could get you measured up and let you shoot a couple of demo bows. If either acts like they don't appreciate your business, there are other shops to visit! I doubt if that would happen however. Archery shops like new shooters.

Mostly at this stage, try to find something that feels comfortable and doesn't try to jump out of your hand. Once you get some miles behind you, you can upgrade to something a little faster or shorter for hunting, and keep your original for a backup.

forepaw

• Like 3

Stick with Bull Basin The Guys are Great with their customer service and don't try to sell you something you don't need..They will take the time to set you up properly.

• Like 1

Also, you will need some lessons. Much better to spend a few bucks now, than trying to learn on your own, and possibly developing bad habits that you have to try to break later. Sounds like Bull Basin has a good reputation here on CWT and I am sure they would be glad to help.

There are some really good forums and videos. On youtube, there is one called "Griv's Thing a Week" (Archery Learning Center). It demonstrates and gives an explanation for all kinds of form and shooting questions. www.archerytalk.com is another good forum. Like CWT it has a lot of expertise, and folks who will help you get started.

forepaw

• Like 1

PSE's pro shop is a joke, Bull Basin all the way.

• Like 1

Friend, don't be too quick to buy one of the "Flagship" bows i.e. Hoyt, Matthews, PSE or Bowtech (though I am a fan of Bowtech). There are some ma and pa companies that are building great bows, and hoping to stay competitive through good customer service and excellent warranties, though you might have to accept buying a bow without shooting it first. Some examples are Athens, Obsession, Elite, Parker, Martin. Also, for a first bow, Matthews makes the MIssion product line, and Bowtech the Diamond. I believe they are both good, just fewer bells and whistles than the fully equipped bows. Both BBA or PSE could get you measured up and let you shoot a couple of demo bows. If either acts like they don't appreciate your business, there are other shops to visit! I doubt if that would happen however. Archery shops like new shooters.

Mostly at this stage, try to find something that feels comfortable and doesn't try to jump out of your hand. Once you get some miles behind you, you can upgrade to something a little faster or shorter for hunting, and keep your original for a backup.

forepaw

More excellent advice, beyond what has been stated by others. In particular, the other brands out there. I have several buddies back in Iowa that shoot nothing but Elite bows and will not touch Matthews, Hoyt, or Bowtech. Elite has GREAT customer service and is a top-notch bow at a fraction of what the others cost. Like others have said, try different brands of bows and see which one feels best to you! And, again, you won't go wrong at BBA. They carry many of those brands. I know the Flagstaff shop carries Elite and Prime (another great brand).

• Like 1

In Tucson or flagstaff bull Basin is the way to go. Great guys and staff and hands down best selection and services. That's coming from a guy who worked in a different pro shop