cwnova

Live in Tucson, First Bow - PSE or Bull Basin?

Friend, don't be too quick to buy one of the "Flagship" bows i.e. Hoyt, Matthews, PSE or Bowtech (though I am a fan of Bowtech). There are some ma and pa companies that are building great bows, and hoping to stay competitive through good customer service and excellent warranties, though you might have to accept buying a bow without shooting it first. Some examples are Athens, Obsession, Elite, Parker, Martin. Also, for a first bow, Matthews makes the MIssion product line, and Bowtech the Diamond. I believe they are both good, just fewer bells and whistles than the fully equipped bows. Both BBA or PSE could get you measured up and let you shoot a couple of demo bows. If either acts like they don't appreciate your business, there are other shops to visit! I doubt if that would happen however. Archery shops like new shooters.

Mostly at this stage, try to find something that feels comfortable and doesn't try to jump out of your hand. Once you get some miles behind you, you can upgrade to something a little faster or shorter for hunting, and keep your original for a backup.

forepaw

By flagship I didn't mean brand as in Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech etc. I meant flagship as in higher end models that each brand releases such as: Carbon Spyder, Destroyer 350, Prodigy, RPM 360, Nitrum, No-cam, etc. Was just stating that for his budget he could pick up a better/faster bow that is a couple years old for the same money he would be buying a RTS package new. Nothing against any other brand.

• Like 1

I think that's good advice. Thought it was worth some caution for a new buyer since the big 3 or 4 companies tend to way out-advertise the other brands, which adds to the cost of their products. But you're right, the speed and high-performance bows are really marketed to advanced shooters, and there would be nothing wrong with a used or discontinued model bow - in fact, that might be better. It would leave money for tuning and accessories and arrows.

forepaw

i think it's odd that there are so many negative reviews on PSE's shop. You'd think they'd offer top notch service, them being in Tuscon and all. And i'm surprised that Bull Basin doesn't carry PSE, once again, them being in Tuscon and all.

Crazy world.

That said, i really like my PSE, absolutely crazy kinetic energy.

I also like mission bows as well, for an entry level product. They're really shootable for the money.

Shoot a bunch of bows that are not PSE as well please.

Do not get a brace height under 7 inches either.

that simple.

care to elaborate? i've always been told this, but just plunked down on a 6.125" brace height bow, and honestly, can't tell the difference. maybe its the string stop.

i think it's odd that there are so many negative reviews on PSE's shop. You'd think they'd offer top notch service, them being in Tuscon and all. And i'm surprised that Bull Basin doesn't carry PSE, once again, them being in Tuscon and all.

Crazy world.

I also like mission bows as well, for an entry level product. They're really shootable for the money.

Crazy world.

Bull Basin does carry PSE. At some point the guy is going to have to get off the internet and go try some stuff out. Sometimes there isn't a best solution until you've experienced several options. For me it's an X-Force GX with 80 lb limbs. It will take something pretty dang special coming along to pull me away from it.

• Like 1

Bull Basin. Great guys and very informative especially for someone just getting into it. Very personal service.

Shoot a bunch of bows that are not PSE as well please.

Do not get a brace height under 7 inches either.

that simple.

care to elaborate? i've always been told this, but just plunked down on a 6.125" brace height bow, and honestly, can't tell the difference. maybe its the string stop.

The shorter the brace height the more your mistakes are magnified. As well as a short axle to axle bow. A skilled archer can shoot a short brace height because he has honed his skill. A newbie like this guy needs all the forgivenesss he can get. Dont be sold on FPS shoot a bow that fits your style.Pse has lower end models that have this and are a RTS package. I bought my wife a rally to shoot for years. Lots of adjustment and a big brace height. She now shoots the Elite spirit as her skills have improved.

• Like 1

Lots of good replies here. I'm not looking to get a higher end bow as I don't see the use for it as just a beginner. I will likely try out several bows in my price range and pick the one that feels the best. There is always time to upgrade down the road. At first, my bias towards PSE was simply that they are based out of Arizona, although I am certainly not ruling out other manufacturers.

Thanks again for the replies.. just about everything that has been said is new information to me so i'll take it.

I'll be paying a visit to Bull Basin Archery this weekend.

• Like 1

So what did you ever get? I want to revive this thread as I had my bow stolen like 12-13 yrs ago and never got another one. Shot at a few deer but never connected. Practiced all the time. Loved just shooting it. Always just under or over. Been seriously thinking of getting back into it.

So what did you ever get? I want to revive this thread as I had my bow stolen like 12-13 yrs ago and never got another one. Shot at a few deer but never connected. Practiced all the time. Loved just shooting it. Always just under or over. Been seriously thinking of getting back into it.

I went to Bull Basin and got a PSE Stinger X and set it up from there. PSE factory is full of morons, Bull Basin is full of good people. Cheap bow but it seems more than adequate for a first time archer like myself.

I was shooting in my yard quite a bit when I got it and was having a great time. That being said, I didn't feel I practiced enough to go out for August OTC Archery. I got a nice surprise with a late bull tag and a general deer tag so those two hunts have been occupying most of my free time lately. If I wasn't excited enough for my elk hunt, I am excited to pick up the bow again this winter. There is still a lot I need to learn though.

All I hear is great things about Bull Basin. I just don't get how a factory(PSE) store isn't the best in the business. Think I may go in sometime and try a few bows out. Wish all things I buy in life had a "test drive" opportunity. Haven't shot one in 12-14 years. Probably alil rusty,lol.

Bull basin was absolutely amazing to me in 2014 when I had my bull tag. I didn't buy much there (couple dozen arrows, restring, bow tune up), but they treated me like I owned the joint and signed their paychecks.

• Like 1

I just don't get how a factory(PSE) store isn't the best in the business.

PSE is a national business that is headquartered in Tucson. The vast majority of their bows aren't sold locally and their pro-shop is just one small facet of a much larger business. Case in point, I am lefty and I went to PSE a few years ago to see if they had any of their newer bows in stock for leftys. They said no, there was too much demand out of state so they usually shipped left handed bows out to other vendors as soon as they came off the production line...then they said maybe ask Bull Basin if they had any lefty PSEs in stock :)