Sign in to follow this  
goinhuntn

Just want to vent

Mathematically it's the same squaring points or getting an extra point for a low number every yr, etc. I mean sure if the points are squared u get more chances but so does everyone else as they progress in point level. The only way to make availability of tags better is to increase tags(supply) or decrease applicants(demand). There's all kinds of diff systems but they all have benefits and disadvantages. At the end of the day, the average wait time would be the same on average per applicant no matter the system if applicants and tag numbers stayed the same

I wrote G&F. They are changing the rules for next year. Anyone over 70 will get a tag and the rest of you have to wait every 10 years. Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

• Like 1

The butt hurt is strong in this thread!!!

No tag for me this year, no big deal to me. I'm not mad, maybe next year I'll get lucky and draw a bull tag in elkaddicts home unit so I can piss him off again.

• Like 3

Larry, You can help me with deer................BOB!

• Like 1

Right now I'm sitting on 20 points for Elk and Antelope and didn't get drawn this year either. Your crying about having 5 and not getting drawn.... I don't feel bad for you. Sorry

You didn't get drawn because you are holding out for certain tags. If you wanted to hunt it could have happened long ago.

you are right... but I'm also not complaining.

I heard you were considering waisting your hard earned bonus points on one of those dime a dozen coues deer hunts?

I heard you were considering waisting your hard earned bonus points on one of those dime a dozen coues deer hunts?

friends dont let friends waste points on baby size deer.

• Like 1

Na ,I can get one of those in Mexico. Wer'e gonna find a big Muley.........BOB!

• Like 2

How about everyone take a deep breath- relax and hurry up and wait like I do , since I did the old envelope and money order thing . Best of luck to all on this years elk draw.

Mathematically it's the same squaring points or getting an extra point for a low number every yr, etc. I mean sure if the points are squared u get more chances but so does everyone else as they progress in point level. The only way to make availability of tags better is to increase tags(supply) or decrease applicants(demand). There's all kinds of diff systems but they all have benefits and disadvantages. At the end of the day, the average wait time would be the same on average per applicant no matter the system if applicants and tag numbers stayed the same

Wrong. It's not about getting ahead of the people with the same point level. The problem is allowing those with more points a higher chance than those with less. A squared point system puts a bigger gap between the point groups and increases the odds of drawing each year. A bonus point system puts a extremely small advantage with each bonus point. So much so that lower point pools draw all the time. Thats the fun/risk of it and also the detriment to some.

• Like 2

Our state has a combination of a preference point system and a bonus point system. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the draw rules per se, but the way they execute it could certainly use a little polishing up! The bonus point round where the 20% is set aside acts like a preference point system. If you have more points than anybody else who applies, you get drawn, period. This right here pretty much should shut the mouths of all the people who say "I've waited this long, blah, blah, blah". If you truly have more than anybody else applying you get your tag!!!

The one/two pass and 3-5 pass, the other 80% part of the drawing is truly random so anyone who is a resident can pretty much draw any tag in the State, with the exception of a few of the sheep hunts and maybe bull bison. Otherwise, if you are lucky enough or have enough points to get lucky, you can get drawn. It's like a lottery, or drawing, or raffle, or any other game of chance where there are certain trends that can be predicted to some degree but you must recognize that there is an element of CHANCE, fairness goes out the window!!!

The way I see it is there are a lot of people who have no clue how the draw actually works, so when they get lucky a couple of times, they almost come to expect certain outcomes, when statistics and trends say otherwise. If they only understood what their actual chances were, I doubt as many people would be getting so worked up about not drawing and creating threads like this to vent.

Preach on brother!

Late archery hunts do suck! Regardless of whether or not you can shoot a big bull or not, they suck. The weather is usually soupy, the elk are all roughed up and broken, and they could care less about screaming their lungs out. Can't be put in same category as an early elk tag. Yes success can be had, but it's more like a deer hunt than an elk hunt. There I've said it! Now that I've drawn I may seriously consider a late hunt because although they suck, they suck a lot less than sitting at home.

• Like 2