Sign in to follow this  
zackcarp

Conicals

Im looking for some 50 cal conicals 400 gr or more for my elk hunt. The heaviest I can find are the hornady great plains hp at 385. Google has been letting me down. Im shooting a traditional percussion great plains hunter with the 1-32 in. twist. Thanks.

I don't think google let you down - I doubt you'll find and that will be made to fire in your rifle -

now midway has 400 + grain 50 cal bullets made for powderless and state can be used in muzzleloaders but 20 in

barrel- most likely with modern twist

good luck

why wouldn't the 385's be enough ?

• Like 1

I just wanted something with a little more umff... just from other threads i have read. I will most likely stay with my 385s, but just curious if anyone knew of, or used anything heavier.

Try the No Excuse Bullets. They have 420, 460 and 495 grain bullets plus others.

Holly crap what's next a canon ball. I love muzzle loaders. They kill quickly

You want to stay all lead or go with a sabot? The twist rate should be fine for sabots if legal. I use to shoot XTP's in sabots out of my percussion St. Louis Hawken with a 1 in 48 twist. In my inline I killed my first bull with a 250 grain Shock Wave at 200 yards, one shot through the heart, 1 in 28 twist. Then I decided I needed to get closer and got a bow.

No Excuses are great bullets! I have used the 460 grain in 50 cal. Shot a mule deer buck in NM at 90 yards he acted like he got hit by a truck! My son also dropped a big cow elk in NM at @110 with the same bullet.

Used to shoot White Systems Bullets .50 cal 600gr very accurate bullet out of my hawkens 1-48 kicked like a mule though not sure if anybody makes them anymore think White Systems is gone

Just looked and looks like they go under the name No Excuses bullets